Connectionists: 3 PhD or Postdoc positions on Hierarchical Cognitive Processing

Sander Bohte S.M.Bohte at cwi.nl
Tue Mar 3 09:24:05 EST 2020

3 PHD STUDENT OR POSTDOC POSITIONS, ON THE SUBJECT OF ARCHITECTURES AND
LEARNING METHODS FOR HIERARCHICAL COGNITIVE PROCESSING.

Job description
Our recent theoretical insights have allowed a preliminary understanding of
how animals learn to represent and memorize the key features of sensory
stimuli for the guidance of action based on reinforcement learning
(Rombouts et al. PloS Comp Biol 2015; Holtmaat & Roelfsema, Nature Reviews
Neuroscience, 2018). The present project focuses on the hierarchical
learning of cognitive subroutines, which can be incorporated into larger
routines, by trial and error. We aim to develop biologically plausible
learning rules that endow neural networks with the possibility to learn
hierarchical task structures and learn and execute cognitive tasks.

Topics of interest include - the role of learnable/flexible working memory
models in learning and executing hierarchically structures routines. The
project is a collaboration between the Vision & Cognition group (Prof.dr.
Pieter Roelfsema) at the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience and the
Machine Learning Lab at the Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica in Amsterdam
(Prof.dr. Sander Bohté).

Requirements
You are highly motivated, have a solid computational background, an
interest in cognitive neuroscience and good programming skills.

Application
Applications can be sent before 15 March 2020 to l.van.der.vecht at nin.knaw.nl
including 1) a Curriculum Vitae; 2) an application letter and 3) two
reference letters. The evaluation of candidates will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled. We aim to fill the position between
April and July 2020.

For more information about the vacancy, see here:
https://nin.nl/about-us/vacancies/vision-cognition-phd-postdoc/
or
https://www.cwi.nl/jobs/vacancies/3-phd-student-or-postdoc-positions-on-the-subject-of-architectures-and-learning-methods-for-hierarchical-cognitive-processing

For direct contact: Prof.dr. Pieter Roelfsema, email p.roelfsema at nin.knaw.nl,