Connectionists: New publication at Pols Computational Biology:Spiking network optimized for word recognition in noise predicts auditory system hierarchy

Fateme Khatami fateme.khatami at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 00:36:17 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to introduce you to our recent publication "Spiking network
optimized for word recognition in noise predicts auditory system
hierarchy",  on Plos Computational Biology.
In this research, we talked about the brain’s ability to recognize sounds
in the presence of competing sounds or background noise . How the brain
accomplishes noise resiliency, however, is poorly understood. Using neural
recordings from the ascending auditory pathway and an auditory spiking
network model trained for sound recognition in noise we explore the
computational strategies that enable noise robustness. Our results suggest
that the hierarchical feature organization of the ascending auditory
pathway and the resulting computations are critical for sound recognition
in the presence of noise.
Please find the article in below link:
https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1007558

Best Regards,