Connectionists: CfP: AAAI 2020 Fall Symposium on Physics-guided AI

Jonghyun Harry Lee jonghyun.harry.lee at hawaii.edu
Fri Jul 10 14:16:25 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We are organizing a symposium on “*Physics-guided AI to Accelerate
Scientific Discovery*” at the AAAI Fall Symposium Series to be held from
November 11 to 14, 2020 and very much welcome your participation in this
symposium.

The goal of this symposium is to nurture the community of researchers
working at the intersection of AI and scientific areas and shape the vision
of the rapidly growing field of physics-guided AI, which aims to
systematize the integration of scientific knowledge with AI to produce
generalizable and physically consistent or meaningful solutions.

We encourage participation on topics that explore any form of synergy
between scientific principles and AI methods in any interdisciplinary
domain of science and engineering. Examples of relevant topics include (but
are not limited to):

   - Use of physical constraints or priors in supervised and unsupervised
   AI methods,
   - Approaches to encode scientific knowledge in deep learning
   architectures,
   - Physics-guided generative and reinforcement learning methods,
   - Discovery of physically interpretable laws from data,
   - Hybrid constructions of physics-based and machine learning models,
   - Architectural and algorithmic improvements enabled by AI in scientific
   computing,
   - Software development facilitating the inclusion of physics in AI, and
   - Use of AI to calibrate parameters and system states in scientific
   models.

We are currently accepting paper submissions for position, review, or
research articles in two formats: (i) *short papers* (2-4 pages) and (ii) *full
papers* (6-8 pages). Extended versions of articles in submission at other
venues are acceptable as long as they do not violate the dual-submission
policy of the other venue. We also encourage early drafts of on-going
research with preliminary insights/results that contribute to the symposium
agenda. All submissions will undergo peer review and authors will have the
option to publish their work in an open access proceedings site.

Submissions should be formatted according to the AAAI template (see
https://www.aaai.org/Publications/Templates/AuthorKit20.zip) and submitted
via EasyChair (https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=fss20). More
details and regular updates about our symposium can be found at our
supplemental website: https://sites.google.com/vt.edu/pgai-aaai-20

Here are some key dates for our symposium:
*August 21, 11:59 PM Pacific Time: Paper submissions due*
September 7: Acceptance/rejection letters sent to participants
September 17: Registration Deadline
September 25, 11:59 PM Pacific Time: Camera-ready papers due

We look forward to your participation! Please feel free to contact us if
you have any questions and circulate this CFP in your network.

Thank you,
Anuj Karpatne (Virginia Tech)
Ramakrishnan Kannan (ORNL)
Yan Liu (USC)
Jonghyun 'Harry' Lee (University of Hawaii at Manoa)
Vipin Kumar (University of Minnesota)