Connectionists: Reflections on Models

Brian Mingus reflection at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 18:44:59 EST 2020

Daniel, thank you for the pointer. A quick look at it suggests that it is
full of "dangerous ideas." Who among us is really qualified to read it?
What if those ideas go viral. Is it safe?

We can hardly abandon the search for truth. Yet, we must recognize it has
global security implications. Instead of jumping to conclusions that impose
top-down constraints on what it means to be human, we should be more
bottom-up, looking for those truisms about being human that are essentially
self-evident. As it is safe to do so, we can peek at science and slowly
evolve our understanding together. Also, we must be careful that we don't
use the search-for-truth itself as an excuse for getting caught in cycles
of deviance that directly cause social havoc. If models are an inspiration
for you, relatively uneducated people are excellent at PAC-learning. They
know good-enough when they see it.

Brian