Connectionists: Postdoc and PhD positions on Biological Deep Learning

Walter Senn senn at pyl.unibe.ch
Thu Feb 13 08:14:32 EST 2020

Dear all

A postdoc and two PhD positions devoted to the modeling of learning in deep cortical networks are available in our Computational Neuroscience labs at the University of Bern, Switzerland. Our research is focussed on biologically realistic models of spatio-temporal processing in recurrent cortical networks and their relation to reinforcement learning, Bayesian computing, learning to learn, and neuromorphic implementations.

The positions are part of the European Human Brain Project and are available from April 1st, 2020, for 3 years (extendable through other funding). We offer a stimulating environment with three research groups in theoretical and computational neuroscience, along with experimental neuroscience at the same Department of Physiology (physio.unibe.ch/gruppen.aspx), as well as close collaboration with other labs in neuroscience, artificial intelligence and neuromorphic engineering.

Ideal candidates should have a strong background in computational neuroscience, machine learning, applied mathematics and/or physics. Please send your CV, publication list, letter of motivation and contact information for at least two references to Walter Senn (walter.senn at pyl.unibe.ch) and Mihai Petrovici (mihai.petrovici at pyl.unibe.ch), with cc to Sabine Herzog (sabine.herzog at pyl.unibe.ch). The first evaluation round will begin on March 23rd, 2020. The positions will remain open until filled.

With best regards,

Mihai Petrovici and Walter Senn