Connectionists: Postdoctoral position, “Task representation in virtual reality”

Angela Radulescu angela.radulescu at nyu.edu
Thu Dec 3 14:08:16 EST 2020

The Center for Data Science <https://cds.nyu.edu/> at New York University
is looking to fill a fully-funded postdoctoral position to work on
computational principles of task representation in virtual reality (VR).
The project is part of a multi-lab effort to build goal representation and
inference models for human-machine collaboration. The position will be
primarily supervised by Drs. Angela Radulescu and Todd Gureckis at NYU.

About the position:

This funded position will include (1) developing and testing computational
models of human gaze and behavioral data from rich, immersive VR
environments; (2) designing and conducting novel experiments to probe how
representations change under different tasks. We are particularly
interested in candidates with expertise in computational cognitive modeling
who are motivated to test theories in naturalistic settings.

The initial appointment will be for one year (with the potential to renew
for a second year). We are looking to fill the position as early as January
2021. The start date is flexible (earlier is preferred). The salary is
$75,000/year and benefits are provided. Post-docs will also have access to
computational resources and administrative support.

Qualifications:

Required:

   -

   Ph.D. in Cognitive Science, Psychology, Computer Science or a related
   field
   -

   Experience with computational modeling / cognitive models, such as
   reinforcement learning, Bayesian inference, and artificial neural networks
   -

   Experience gathering and analyzing data from different modalities
   -

   Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills

Preferred:

   -

   Experience developing behavioral experiments in VR (e.g. Unity)
   -

   A demonstrated commitment to building reproducible workflows for data
   collection and analysis

About the group:

The Computational Cognitive Science group at NYU brings together diverse
labs across the university broadly interested in the computational
principles of learning, thought, and intelligence. The PIs collaborating on
this project, Drs. Todd Gureckis, Brenden Lake and Angela Radulescu are
especially interested in how rich human behavioral data can bridge models
of intelligence from cognitive science and AI. For more information, please
visit: http://nyuccl.org/cogsci/

How to apply:
Please email a cover letter, current CV, and email addresses of 3 referees
to vr-postdoc-apply-2020 at gureckislab.org. Reviews of applications will
begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. We are
committed to increasing the number of individuals from diverse backgrounds,
so we welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. If
you have any questions about the position, the research group, or anything
else, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

--
Angela Radulescu

Faculty Fellow
NYU Center for Data Science