Connectionists: Postdoctoral, predoctoral, and data scientist positions: causal inference

Jan Drugowitsch jdrugo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:21:41 EDT 2020

How do our brains interpret sensory inputs to determine how we move
through the world? How do the objects we perceive in the environment
shape these interpretations? And what happens when these objects are
themselves moving? We will address these questions in a
multi-institution project that examines neural and computation
mechanisms of causal inference in the context of interactions between
perception of object motion, self-motion, and depth. We are looking
for talented and creative scientists to join our effort.

We are offering multiple positions for postdoctoral fellows, graduate
research assistants, and a data scientist as part of a BRAIN
Initiative U19 project focused on the neural mechanisms of causal
inference. This multi-institution project involves experimental and
computational/theoretical laboratories at the University of Rochester
(Drs. Greg DeAngelis and Ralf Haefner), Harvard Medical School (Dr.
Jan Drugowitsch), New York University (Dr. Dora Angelaki), Baylor
College of Medicine / Rice University (Dr. Xaq Pitkow), and the
University of Washington (Dr. Greg Horwitz). The project is highly
collaborative and interactive, involving high-density
electrophysiological recordings in both macaque monkeys and mice,
optogenetic manipulations in monkeys, development of novel dynamical
theoretical frameworks, application of high-dimensional neural
analyses, and establishment of a data analysis and storage platform
across laboratories.

For the theoretical/computational efforts, candidates are expected to
have a background in a quantitative field like computational
neuroscience, machine learning, reinforcement learning, statistics,
physics, etc.. For the experimental efforts, candidates are expected
to have a background in neuroscience, experimental psychology,
biomedical engineering, or a related field, and previous research
experience in systems neuroscience is highly beneficial. Successful
candidates will work primarily at one of the participating
institutions but will collaborate broadly with team members across
institutions. Candidates should submit their CV, a statement of
research interests, and the names and contact information for three