Connectionists: Call for Projects: Grants of up to 150K€ of equipment for research projects in the areas of human behavior research and brain-computer interfaces (Bitbrain, Javier Minguez)

javier Minguez javier.minguez.mail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 07:00:03 EDT 2020

Call for Projects: Grants of up to 150K€ of equipment for research projects
in the areas of human behavior research and brain-computer interfaces.

*Aim of the Call*

This year has been unexpectedly complicated for all of us. We have had an
ongoing threat to public health with a strong impact on economic activity
in every country and organization. Scientific endeavors have been delayed
in most research fields, and many research conferences and symposiums have
been delayed or canceled. The aim of this call is to catalyze and mobilize
research in human behavior and brain-computer interfaces during this
difficult time, by supporting outstanding research projects for 2 years of
duration starting in 2021. This is our way of giving back to the scientific
community and helping research projects start-up in the wake of COVID 19.
Bitbrain's mission is to boost real-world research and real-life
applications that enhance people's lives. For this reason, we particularly
welcome project proposals from academia or research institutions that are
exploring neuroscience research in real-world settings.

The deadline for submissions is September 21st, 2020.

More info here:  https://www.bitbrain.com/call-for-projects-2020

*The Awards*

This initiative awards projects with up to a total of 150K€ in Bitbrain
equipment plus software licenses. Bitbrain systems are specifically
designed to facilitate research in real-world settings and include
high-tech EEG brain sensing devices and 35+ complementary monitoring
technologies, as well as human behavior research software solutions for
synchronized multimodal data acquisition and analysis.

*Call topics*

- Topic 1: Human Behavior Research: We are looking for projects that expand
the understanding of human behavior using multimodal approaches, preferably
in ecological and natural conditions. The research includes, but is not
limited to, cognitive sciences, clinical research, education, developmental
psychology, human performance, UX or human factors, neuroeconomics,
hyperscanning, neuroaesthetics, etc.

Awards: According to the research needs of the project, the award may
include the following: 1) Hardware: dry/semi-dry EEG systems in combination
with a wide range of biosensors (GSR, BVP, ExG, etc) specifically developed
to carry out real-world research, while favoring signal quality, usability,
set up time, and user comfort. 2) Software: SDK for real-time I/O and
third-party data processing (LSL, Matlab, Python, BCI200, etc); SennsLab
software for synchronized data collection of 35+ types of biosensors and
other research modalities including eye-tracking, cameras, microphones,
etc, and other 3rd party options such as E-prime; SennsMetrics software for
computation and data analysis of behavioral metrics.

- Topic 2: Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI): We are looking for projects
that expand the introduction or usage of brain-computer interfaces in
ecological and natural conditions.
Research project proposals should focus on the application of
brain-computer interfaces in real-world scenarios, in areas such as
immersive environments, neurorehabilitation, neuroadaptive technologies,
hyperscanning, neuroprosthetics, etc.

Awards: According to the research needs of the project, the award may
include the following: 1) Hardware: Mobile EEG systems for brain-computer
interfaces including dry-EEG devices and semi-dry EEG systems (8, 16, 32
and 64ch), with a very quick and easy setup and comfortable interface. 2)
Software: programming tools with great compatibility with real-time I/O and
third-party data processing (LSL, Matlab, Python, BCI2000, OpenVibe, etc).

*Jury*

- Dima Amso, PhD. Professor, Department of Psychology at Columbia
University.
- Alan Kingstone, PhD. Professor, Department of Psychology, University of
British Columbia.
- Ander Ramos, PhD. Head of the Neurorehabilitation Lab. University of
Tubingen. Germany
- Gernot Muller-Putz, PhD. Professor and Head of the Institute of Neural
Engineering. Graz University of Technology. Austria
- Tiago Falk, PhD. Associate Professor and Multimedia/Multimodal Signal
Analysis and Enhancement (MuSAE) Laboratory.  University of Toronto. Canada
- Marco Congedo, PhD. Charge de Research (CNRS), France.

*Important Dates*
- Submission of applications: 21st September
- Communication of the awards: 6th October
- Contracts: 12th October
- Equipment delivering: 20th December
- Kick-off Meetings: 11th January

*More info here*:  https://www.bitbrain.com/call-for-projects-2020