Connectionists: 5th eCAS Workshop on Engineering Collective Adaptive Systems: Call for Papers & Talks

gcabri@unimore.it giacomo.cabri at unimore.it
Mon Apr 6 06:28:19 EDT 2020

********* eCAS 2020 - Call for Papers & Talks *********5th eCAS Workshop
on Engineering Collective Adaptive Systems21 August 2020 – Washington,
DC, USA& online At the 1st IEEE International Joint ICAC/SASO Conference
on Autonomic Computing & Self-Organizing Systems(ACSOS)
http://ecas2020.apice.unibo.it/
https://2020.acsos.org/*******************************************************

**** About the eCAS Workshop Series ****

Modern computing systems are becoming ever more collective and are often
composed of many distributed and heterogeneous entities. These systems
operate under continuous perturbations and environmental change, making
manual adjustments infeasible. For a collective system to be resilient,
its adaptation must also be collective, in the sense that multiple
entities must adapt in a way that addresses critical runtime conditions
while preserving the benefits of collaborative interdependencies.
Decision-making in such systems is distributed and possibly highly
dispersed, and interaction between the entities may lead to the
emergence of unexpected phenomena. In such systems, new approaches for
and understanding of collective adaptation are needed, to allow: (i)
multiple entities to adapt in a coordinated or complementary way, with
(ii) negotiations, collective action, or other mechanisms to decide
which collective changes are to be made. Collective adaptation also
raises a second important challenge: Which parts of the system (things,
services, people) should adapt, and how? This is nontrivial, as multiple
solutions to the same problem may be generated at different levels, and
individuals in the collective often have partial information. The
challenge is to understand these levels and create mechanisms to decide
the right scope for an adaptation for a given problem. This workshop
solicits papers and talks that address new methodologies, theories,
principles, and fundamental understanding, that can be used to underpin
the design, operation, and analysis of such systems. Case studies,
applications showing such approaches in action, and interdisciplinary
work are particularly welcome. Suggested Topics (but not limited to):

- Novel theories relating to operating principles of CAS
- Novel design principles for building CAS systems
- Insights into the short and long-term adaptation of CAS systems
- Insights into emergent properties of CAS
- Insights into general properties of large scale, distributed CAS
- Comparing and analyzing approaches to CAS (e.g., distributed and
centralized)
- Decision-making approaches in CAS
- Methodologies for studying, analyzing, and building CAS
- Frameworks for analyzing or developing CAS case studies
- Languages, platforms, APIs and other tools for CAS
- Scenarios, case studies, and experience reports of CAS in different
contexts (e.g., Smart Mobility, Smart Energy/Smart Grid, Smart
Buildings, traffic management, emergency response, etc.)** 2020 will be
the 5th installment in the eCAS workshop series. For more information
about eCAS, check out our web pages: http://ecas2020.apice.unibo.it/****
About the IEEE ACSOS Conference **** The goal of the IEEE International
Conference on Autonomic Computing and Self-Organizing Systems (ACSOS) is
to provide a forum for sharing the latest research results, ideas and
experiences in autonomic computing, self-adaptation and
self-organization. ACSOS was founded in 2020 as a merger of the IEEE
International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC) and the IEEE
International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems
(SASO). For more information about the merger, as well as up-to-date
news, see https://2020.acsos.org/news/ or follow us at
https://twitter.com/ACSOSconf!

*** Statement Regarding COVID-19 ***

The eCAS and ACSOS Steering and Organizing Committees have been
monitoring the situation surrounding COVID-19, and considering what
impact this may have on events scheduled for later in the year, such as
ours. eCAS will follow the arrangements of the main ACSOS conference.

We would like to express our empathy and condolences with those affected
by COVID-19 so far, and those who will have a difficult 2020. Our
primary concern is that members of our community, and their families and
friends, remain safe and well.We are aware of the restrictions and
uncertainty that people are facing, and therefore want to take this
opportunity toannounce and confirm that:

- eCAS and ACSOS *will* take place, and on their original dates in August.

- There will be an opportunity to present virtually, for anyone who
cannot or chooses not to travel.

- All accepted eCAS papers will be published in the workshops
proceedings by IEEE, regardless of whether a physical or virtual
presentation is given.

- Whether the workshop becomes entirely virtual or a hybrid is a
decision that will be taken by early June at the latest. This is to
ensure people have ample time to make travel arrangements, in the case
of physical attendance.

As the situation surrounding COVID-19 is evolving rapidly, it is unclear
what things will be like in the late summer. Therefore, we hope you find
the above clarifications helpful, and we appreciate your understanding
as we continue to monitor the situation carefully.*
*

**** Scope ***
*
The eCAS workshop series attracts participants from many disciplines,
including Autonomic Computing, Biology, Game Theory, Evolutionary
Computing, Network Science, Self-Organizing Systems, Pervasive
Computing, and to be of interest to anyone working with the domain of
large-scale self-adaptive systems. In addition, the European Commission
has funded seven scientific projects and a Coordination Action in this
area, with projects starting at the beginning of 2013. The proposed
workshop provides a natural base for the projects to meet and share
ideas, yet we stress that the workshop is in no way limited to this
audience, and is likely to have broad appeal to a wide range of
researchers. Potential audience members might work in application areas
relating to large-scale distributed systems, or may come from any of the
many disciplines that can provide insights into the operation and design
of such systems.

**** Important Dates ****

- Workshop paper & talk submission deadline: June 12, 2020
- Workshop paper & talk notification: June 30, 2020
- Camera-Ready Versions due: July 8, 2020
- Workshop: August 21, 2020

**** Submission Details and Review Process ***
*
Contributions will be peer reviewed for originality, clarity and
readability, relevance to themes, soundness, and overall quality. We
solicit the following types of contributions:

- Workshop papers, limited to 6 pages including references, following
the IEEE Computer Society Press proceedings style guide.

- Talks, submitted as extended abstracts, limited to 1 page including
references, without formatting restrictions.

Workshop papers will be published on IEEE Xplore in parallel with the
main IEEE ACSOS conference proceedings. Extended abstracts will not be
published, should be relevant to the eCAS community (with a preference
for application-focussed talks or lessons learnt) and may report (i) on
work having already been (partially) presented elsewhere, or (ii) work
at an early stage, where there would be benefit for both the authors and
audience in sharing ideas and progress. All contributions should be
submitted in PDF format using the Easychair login page:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ecas2020

By submitting, the authors confirm that in case of acceptance, at least
one author will attend (possibly virtually) the workshop to present the
work.

**** Workshop organizers ***

*Please don't hesitate to get in touch with the organizers with any queries.

- Giorgio Audrito, Università di Torino, Italy,
giorgio.audrito at gmail.com <mailto:giorgio.audrito at gmail.com>
- Peter Lewis, Aston University, Birmingham, UK, p.lewis at aston.ac.uk
<mailto:p.lewis at aston.ac.uk>

--