Connectionists: Calling: Independent Machine Learning Researchers

john jameson colab at jamesonrobotics.com
Sun Apr 5 16:21:31 EDT 2020

CALLING INDEPENDENT RESEARCHERS

Are you passionate about your ideas for machine learning but feel quite frustrated by the long hours of programming, reading  papers, working out extant theory, developing new theory, developing and running new experiments, etc. Faced with competition from large research teams from Google and the like, it feels like the "independent machine learning researcher" may be near extinction.

This is essentially a personal ad for meeting others like myself who might like to collaborate with me in some fashion. The latter might range from just having Zoom conversations about the latest research to producing a paper or filing a patent.

Since folks like us probably do not read this list as much as more ensconced researchers, if you know an independent machine learning/connectionist researcher please forward this notice to him or her.

About myself:
My current interest is in developing a technique for reliable, and thus potentially scalable, reinforcement learning that I have been developing for several years. My original motivation was similar to that behind the development of TRPO and its successors a few years ago, although my approach has stronger ties with hierarchical/heterarchical RL. It also has some connections with a few recent leading publications, but also some interesting differences. I am also interested in relational RL, as well as object/scene interpretation with capsules and the like.

My background:
I have worked for many years in recognition systems and reinforcement learning. I’m adept at comprehending theoretical concepts and mathematics, and can assist in interpreting technical papers, as well as code developed by others. My extensive background in control theory and robotics can come in handy when working with RL for these applications. I have a PhD from Stanford in engineering and can provide some relevant publications.

If you are interested please send me a message along the lines of the “about myself” and “my background” paragraphs above. If I do not feel that we are a good match I might refer you to another researcher that has already contacted me.  Thanks!

John Jameson, El Cerrito CA
colab at jamesonrobotics.com <mailto:colab at jamesonrobotics.com>
http://www.jamesonrobotics.com/index.html <http://www.jamesonrobotics.com/index.html>