Connectionists: AKBC 2020: Call for participation

Dipanjan Das dipanjand at google.com
Thu Oct 3 13:37:06 EDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

My apologies if you see this cross-posted. Please circulate among your
colleagues.

Dipanjan

--------------------------------

AKBC 2020

2nd Conference on Automated Knowledge Base Construction (AKBC)

June 22-24, 2020, Monday-Wednesday, Irvine, CA

Homepage: http://www.akbc.ws ; Email: info at akbc.ws

Key dates

   -

   Abstract submission deadline: February 6. 2020
   -

   Paper submission deadline: February 13, 2020
   -

   Notification of acceptance: April 20, 2020
   -

   Conference & Workshop Dates: June 22-24, 2020

Knowledge Base Construction

Knowledge gathering, representation, and reasoning are among the
fundamental challenges of artificial intelligence.  Large-scale
repositories of knowledge about entities, relations, and their abstractions
are known as “knowledge bases”.  Most major technology companies now have
substantial efforts in knowledge base construction. Related scholarly work
spans many research areas, including machine learning, natural language
processing, computer vision, information integration, databases, search,
data mining, knowledge representation, human computation, human-computer
interfaces, and fairness.  The AKBC conference serves as a research forum
for all these areas, in both academia and industry.

New Conference

Nearly ten years after the first AKBC workshop in Grenoble, France, AKBC
has become a conference, with its widely-acclaimed first instantiation last
year in Amherst MA.  Why a new stand-alone conference?

   -

   Long-standing and growing interest in the area, now with too much
   material for a one-day workshop.  We have sufficient material for a two-day
   conference plus topical workshops.
   -

   We want to grow and connect the community beyond existing individual
   conference communities, bringing together ML, NLP, DB, IR, KRR, semantics,
   reasoning, common sense, QA, human computation, dialog, HCI.
   -

   We want to set our own culture, including reviewing practices, and
   meeting format. We have fond memories of the first AKBC 2010 in Grenoble: a
   two-day meeting that included an afternoon hike in the Alps with much great
   scientific discussion.
   -

   Why now?  Growing interest across many areas.  Disconnect among multiple
   relevant communities.  Growing industry and government interest. Many of
   the long-existing conferences have grown uncomfortably large; a new,
   smaller conference can be more intimate, hospitable, and supportive.

Call For Papers

We invite the submission of papers describing previously unpublished
research, including new methodology, datasets, evaluations, surveys,
reproduced results, negative results, and visionary positions.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

   -

   Natural language processing, information extraction, extraction of
   entities, relations, and events, semantic parsing, coreference, machine
   reading, entailment, web mining, multilingual NLP.
   -

   Information integration, entity resolution, schema & ontology alignment,
   text and structure alignment, federated KBs, Semantic Web.
   -

   Machine learning, supervised, unsupervised, lightly-supervised and
   distantly-supervised learning, deep learning, symbolic learning, multimodal
   learning, embeddings of knowledge.
   -

   Search, question-answering, reasoning, knowledge base completion,
   queries on mixtures of structured and unstructured data; querying under
   uncertainty.
   -

   Multi-modal knowledge bases: structured data, text, images, video, audio.
   -

   Human-computer interaction, crowdsourcing, interactive learning.
   -

   Fairness, accountability, transparency, misinformation, multiple
   viewpoints, uncertainty.
   -

   Databases, probabilistic databases, distributed databases, database
   cleaning, scalable computation, distributed computation, dynamic data,
   online adaptation of knowledge.
   -

   Systems, languages and toolkits, demonstrations of existing knowledge
   bases.
   -

   Evaluation of AKBC, datasets, evaluation methodology.

Authors of accepted papers will have the option for their conference paper
to be archival (with full text in AKBC Proceedings, and be considered for
best paper awards) or non-archival (listed in AKBC Conference schedule,
with full text in OpenReview, and the flexibility to also submit
elsewhere).  Double-blind reviewing will be performed on the OpenReview
platform, with papers, reviews and comments publicly visible, much like
ICLR 2020.

Papers should be restricted to 10 pages excluding references (the
equivalent of about 8 pages double column). Submission site:
http://www.akbc.ws/2020/submission

Dual Submission Policy: Submissions that are identical (or substantially
similar) to versions that have been previously published, or accepted for
publication, are not allowed and violate our dual submission policy.
However, papers that cite previous related work by the authors and papers
that have appeared on non-peered reviewed websites (like arXiv) or that
have been presented at workshops (i.e., venues that do not have publication
proceedings) do not violate the policy. The policy is enforced during the
whole reviewing process period.

Invited Talks

Jonathan Berant <http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~joberant/> (Tel Aviv University /
Allen Institute for AI)

William Cohen <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~wcohen/> (Google AI)

Xin Luna Dong <http://lunadong.com/> (Amazon)

Heng Ji <http://blender.cs.illinois.edu/hengji.html> (University of
Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)

Jure Leskovec <https://cs.stanford.edu/people/jure/> (Stanford)

Ndapandula Nakashole <http://nakashole.com/> (University of California, San
Diego)

Theodoros Rekatsinas <http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~thodrek/>(University of
Wisconsin-Madison)

Andrew Su <https://www.scripps.edu/faculty/su/> (Scripps Institute)

Emma Strubell <https://people.cs.umass.edu/~strubell/> (Facebook/CMU)

Jamie Taylor <https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamie-taylor-853953/> (Google)

Benjamin Van Durme <https://www.cs.jhu.edu/~vandurme/> (John Hopkins
University)

Diyi Yang <https://www.cc.gatech.edu/~dyang888/experience.html> (Georgia
Institute of Technology)

Luke Zettlemoyer <https://www.cs.washington.edu/people/faculty/lsz>
(University of Washington/Facebook)

Workshops

In addition to the two-day conference program, we will have a one-day
collection of workshops on focused topics.

Organizers

General Co-Chair Andrew McCallum <https://people.cs.umass.edu/~mccallum/>,
University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA

General Co-Chair Alon Halevy <https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~alon/>,
Facebook AI, USA

Program Co-chair Hannaneh Hajishirzi
<https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~hannaneh/>, University of