Connectionists: Call for participation: Machine Learning Research School, August 2019, Bangkok

Wittawat Jitkrittum wittawatj at gmail.com
Sun May 26 10:30:44 EDT 2019

Dear all,

The first Machine Learning Research School (MLRS <https://www.mlrs.ai/>)
will be held at Digital Economy Promotion Agency <http://www.depa.or.th/>
(DEPA) in Bangkok, Thailand between August 4th - 11th, 2019 (8 days). The
MLRS aims toprovide basic understanding of machine learning research to
students, researchers, and practitioners, through comprehensive tutorials
by renowned machine learning experts.

=== INVITED SPEAKERS & TOPICS ===

   1.

   Benjamin Van Roy <https://web.stanford.edu/~bvr/>(Professor at Stanford
   University; Research Lead at DeepMind, Mountain View)
   2.

   Kenji Fukumizu <https://www.ism.ac.jp/~fukumizu/> (Professor at The
   Institute of Statistical Mathematics <http://www.ism.ac.jp/>)
   3.

   Mijung Park <https://privacy-preserving-machine-learning.github.io/>
   ("Privacy Preserving Machine Learning" Group Leader at Max Planck
   Institute for Intelligent Systems <https://www.is.mpg.de/>)
   4.

   André Martins <https://andre-martins.github.io/> (Research Scientist at
   Unbabel <http://unbabel.com/>)
   5.

   Warodom Khamphanchai <https://www.linkedin.com/in/kwarodom/> (Bangkok AI
   Ambassador at CITY.AI)
   6.

   Prachya Boonkwan <https://thainlpbook.wordpress.com/author/kaamanita/>
   (Thai Natural Language Processing Researcher at Thailand's National
   Electronics and Computer Technology Center)
   7.

   Elias Bareinboim <https://causalai.net/> (Assistant Professor at Purdue
   University)
   8.

   Hung Bui <https://sites.google.com/site/buihhung/> (Director at VinAI
   Research)

The list of invited speakers is still growing, which will be updated on our
website <https://www.mlrs.ai/speakers>. The main topics that we cover
include

   -

   Reinforcement learning
   -

   Kernel methods
   -

   Causal inference
   -

   Probabilistic modeling
   -

   Privacy preserving machine learning
   -

   Natural language processing
   -

   Thai natural language processing
   -

   Machine learning in Python (practical sessions)

=== APPLICATION & PROGRAM ===

We are inviting applications to participate in the MLRS. DEADLINE: 31st May
2019. Details regarding the application process can be found at
https://www.mlrs.ai/participate. Our target audience are research students,
industry practitioners working on machine learning or related areas, and
academics who wish to understand machine learning from a technical
perspective.

All applicants are subject to a selection process. There is no application
fee. However, for applicants selected to participate, there is a small
registration fee (details at https://www.mlrs.ai/participate). The
registration fee will allow us to offer:

   1.

   Lunch and two coffee breaks per day (8 days)
   2.

   Access to all lectures (in English). See the schedule at
   https://www.mlrs.ai/schedule.
   3.

   Poster presentation by participants
   4.

   Two coding sessions
   5.

   Social events (welcome party and banquet)
   6.

   Access to career booths of our valued sponsors (
   https://www.mlrs.ai/sponsors).
   7.

   One-day visit to Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technolog
   <https://www.vistec.ac.th/>y (VISTEC) in Rayong province, Thailand.

Full (tentative) schedule can be found at https://www.mlrs.ai/schedule. A
limited number of travel assistance is available for students who are
accepted to attend MLRS. Everyone is welcome to apply regardless of their
origin, nationality, and country of residence.

CONTACT:

Please do not hesitate to contact us at mlrs2019 at googlegroups.com for any
questions or suggestions.

Kind regards,