Connectionists: Post-doc opening at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory -- Navlakha Lab

Saket Navlakha navlakha at salk.edu
Tue Jul 16 14:38:48 EDT 2019

A post-doctoral position studying biological computation / "algorithms in nature" is available in Saket Navlakha's research group at the Simon's Center for Quantitative Biology at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY.

We are looking for post-docs broadly interested in studying biological information processing from an algorithmic perspective. The goal is to discover new ideas for computation by studying problem-solving strategies used in nature, and to ground these ideas by fostering deep collaborations with experimental biologists. Most recently, we have been interested in neural circuit computation and plant architecture optimization, but new areas are also welcome.

Relevant publications include:

	1. A neural algorithm for a fundamental computing problem (Science, 2017)
	2. A neural data structure for novelty detection (PNAS, 2018)
	3. Plant architectures reflect universal network design principles (Cell Systems, 2017).

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and education institution recognized internationally for its excellence in fundamental areas, such as cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics, and quantitative biology. The Laboratory has long been recognized as a place for nurturing young scientists, with postdocs being an integral part of the discovery process. The Laboratory offers a warm, collegial, and collaborative work environment in a beautiful location about one hour from New York City.

Required qualifications: PhD in computer science, or related field; strong algorithmic and programming skills; publications in strong computational biology conferences or journals; and experience/interest in learning basic biology and collaborating with experimentalists.

To apply: Please submit a CV, a short description of how our research interests overlap, and contact information for two references to: navlakha at salk.edu. We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits program, including medical and dental insurance, and access to an affordable and licensed on-site childcare center. In addition, the CSHL Meetings and Courses program provides an opportunity for interacting with a broad range of researchers and exposure to timely advances in many areas of scientific research.

Thank you for considering.