Connectionists: Paper: Forward propagation closed loop learning

Bernd Porr mail at berndporr.me.uk
Mon Jul 1 04:47:29 EDT 2019

Dear all,

we have a new paper out where we have propagated errors forwards (and
not backwards) for closed loop learning / RL:

"For an autonomous agent, the inputs are the sensory data that inform
the agent of the state of the world, and the outputs are their actions,
which act on the world and consequently produce new sensory inputs. The
agent only knows of its own actions via their effect on future inputs;
therefore desired states, and error signals, are most naturally defined
in terms of the inputs. Most machine learning algorithms, however,
operate in terms of desired outputs. For example, backpropagation takes
target output values and propagates the corresponding error backwards
through the network in order to change the weights. In closed loop
settings, it is far more obvious how to define desired sensory inputs
than desired actions, however. To train a deep network using errors
defined in the input space would call for an algorithm that can
propagate those errors forwards through the network, from input layer to
output layer, in much the same way that activations are propagated. In
this article, we present a novel learning algorithm which performs such
‘forward-propagation’ of errors. We demonstrate its performance, first
in a simple line follower and then in a 1st person shooter game."

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1059712319851070

The PDF of the accepted submission version can be found on my personal
homepage:
https://www.berndporr.me.uk/Porr_Miller_FCL_2019_Adaptive_Behaviour.pdf
https://www.berndporr.me.uk/publications.php

The code is available here:
https://github.com/glasgowneuro/feedforward_closedloop_learning

A video clip of the learning behaviour of a simple FPS agent is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLVDBdlAQLY

http://www.glasgowneuro.tech/fcl/

Best,
/Bernd Porr & Paul Miller