Connectionists: 2 PhDs for 3 year founded positions in Neuroscience, Bochum, Germany

Christian Klaes christian.klaes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 08:01:51 EDT 2019

Open PhD positions for two neuroscientific research projects in Bochum,
Germany

Project 1 (REXO):

We are looking for a strong PhD candidate for the EU funded project “Smart
rehabilitation of the upper limbs with an intelligent soft-exoskeleton”.
One of the main goals of the project is to develop an AI assistance system
which could help patients with movement disorders. Neuronal and behavioral
data of patients and healthy subjects will be recorded and used to train
the exoskeleton. A virtual reality environment is used for rapid
prototyping of the system.

Requirements: Master degree in neuroscience, engineering, computer science
or a related field. Good programming skills (e.g. Matlab, Unity 3D). Basic
knowledge in machine learning (specifically deep learning). Experience with
EEG and electrophysiology are not mandatory but useful. A strong interest
in the field and excellent working ethics.

Start: 1st of October 2019

Duration: 3 years

Project 2 (VAFES):

We are looking for a strong PhD candidate for the EU funded project
“Virtual reality based Arm and hand Function Evaluation and support
System”. To asses the degree of various movement disorders we will develop
a virtual reality based test environment for patients. Machine learning
techniques will be used for data analysis and test calibration.

Requirements: Master degree in neuroscience, engineering, computer science
or a related field. Good programming skills (e.g. Matlab, Unity 3D).
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. A strong interest in the
field and excellent working ethics.

Start: 1st of January 2020

Duration: 3 years

Please send applications via email (see below).

Contact:
Dr. Christian Klaes
Emmy Noether Group Leader
Department of Neurosurgery