Connectionists: PhD position in computational neuroscience at IIT - deadline May 15th

Stefano Panzeri stefano.panzeri at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 06:28:14 EDT 2019

*Fully funded PhD Position at IIT - Computational approaches to study the
neural code*

I am are seeking candidates for a fully funded PhD position at the Italian
Institute of Technology’s in the lab directed by Stefano Panzeri (
https://www.iit.it/people/stefano-panzeri ). IIT collaborates with
University of Bologna and finances the positions at the PhD course in Data
Science and Computation.

Although formally enrolled at the University of Bologna, the successful
candidate will have the opportunity to conduct research either at the IIT
center in Rovereto (Italy), or at the IIT headquarters in Genova, (Italy).

The PhD project can focus on any of the research topics about neural
information processing that are of interest to both the candidate and my
lab, including: developing mathematical analysis methods and neural network
models for studying large scale neural population coding during cognitive
tasks, for studying the neural bases of sensory perception and decision
making, for linking functional to anatomical connectivity with cellular
resolution at the neural population level, and for determining the best
theoretical framework to combine recording of neural activity (calcium
imaging, electrophysiology, EEG) and intervention on it (optogenetics, TMS).

My computational neuroscience lab has developed long-term collaboration
with many experimental laboratories including Christopher Harvey and Wei
Lee (Harvard Medical School), Nikos Logothetis (Tuebingen), Tommaso Fellin
(IIT), Mathew Diamond and Davide Zoccolan (SISSA), Alex Thiele (Newcastle),
Cristina Becchio (IIT) and others. The PhD project will likely involve
collaborations with one or more experimental lab.

For recent representative publications please see:

van Vugt B, et al, (2018) Science: in press. DOI: 10.1126/science.aar7186

Zaldivar, D., et al, (2018) Current Biology 28: 224-235

Runyan C. A., et al (2017) Nature: 548: 92-96

Panzeri, S, et al (2017) Neuron 93: 491-507

Safaai, H. et al (2015) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 112(41): 12834–12839

Fasoli, D. et al (2016) PLoS Computational Biology, 12(8): e1004992.

Panzeri, S., et al  (2015) Trends in Cognitive Sciences 19: 162-172

Einevoll, G., et al (2013) Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 14, 770-785

The ideal candidate should have a strong background in numerate sciences,
and have a strong propensity for interdisciplinary research. No extensive
previous experience in neuroscience is needed. However, a keen interest in
understanding the brain is essential.

The deadline for the formal application is set to *May 15thst 2019*, but
interested candidates are invited me to contact me informally by email (
stefano.panzeri at iit.it) *as soon as possible,* and no later than May 8th
2019, by attaching their CV and briefly explaining their interest in this
position, to initiate discussion about potential PhD projects of interest.

In order to formally apply to the PhD Position, candidates will then need
to refer to the call published by Università degli Studi di Bologna (
https://www.unibo.it/en/teaching/phd/2019-2020/data-science-and-computation).
The PhD position available for projects under my supervision is one of
those financed by IIT. Candidates that are wishing to apply will be able to
rely on my advice and feedback to understand how to complete the
application.

Yours truly,

Stefano Panzeri