Connectionists: two postdoc positions in computational neuroscience at IIT, Italy

Stefano Panzeri stefano.panzeri at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 07:30:01 EDT 2019

Two postdoctoral positions will be available at Istituto Italiano di
Tecnologia) to work with me (Stefano Panzeri
https://www.iit.it/people/stefano-panzeri), in the laboratory of Neural
Computation.

The laboratory investigates, by developing and using advanced data analysis
methods and neural network models, how circuits of neurons in the brain
encode information and use it to produce appropriate behaviors. The
positions on offer would leave the candidate the choice of developing a
research project of mutual interest within this research area. The
laboratory offers a wide range of interdisciplinary expertise in
computational neuroscience, including both advanced neural analysis
techniques and neural network modeling.  The laboratory also offers a
thriving, ambitious research environment which is well funded (including
several grants from the NIH Brain Initiative). Moreover, the laboratory
offers extensive long-term international collaborations with empirical
neuroscience laboratories (including Chris Harvey at Harvard Medical
School, Wei Lee at Children’s Hospital, Christoph Kayser at Bielefeld,
Nikos Logothetis at Tuebingen, Mathew Diamond at SISSA, Tommaso Fellin and
Cristina Becchio at the IIT, Alex Thiele at Newcastle) and ample
opportunities for advanced training and personal scientific growth.

I seek candidates holding a PhD in a numerate or neuroscientific
discipline, with a solid computational background and a keen interest in
neuroscience. They must be highly motivated and creative individuals who
want to work in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary research environment and be
willing to interact with both experimental and theoretical neuroscientists.

The successful candidate will have the opportunity to conduct research at
the IIT center in Rovereto (Italy), or at the IIT headquarters in Genova,
(Italy).

For representative recent publications from my lab, please see:

Runyan C. A., et al (2017) Distinct timescales of population coding across
cortex, Nature: 548: 92-96.

Panzeri S., et al (2017) Cracking the neural code for sensory perception by
combining statistics, intervention and behaviour. Neuron 93: 491-507

Safaai, H., et al (2015) Modelling the effect of Locus Coeruleous firing on
single trial cortical state dynamics and sensory processing. Proc. Natl.
Acad. Sci. USA 112(41): 12834–12839

Further information about my research can be found at my IIT and Google
Scholar web pages:

https://www.iit.it/people/stefano-panzeri

https://scholar.google.it/citations?user=C-HCQ9cAAAAJ&hl=en

Applications (full CV, statement of research interest and name and contact
of 2 referees) should be sent by e-mail to stefano.panzeri at iit.it, quoting
“Postdoctoral position in Computational Neuroscience” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is May  18th, 2019. Applications will be
examined until the position is filled. Interested applicants are advised to
contact me by email informally as soon as possible to discuss about the
science and the position informally.

Thanks

Stefano Panzeri