Connectionists: AKBC 2019: Call for Participation: Registration and Workshops

Sameer Singh sameer at uci.edu
Wed Apr 3 14:45:58 EDT 2019

AKBC 2019

1st Conference on Automated Knowledge Base Construction (AKBC)

May 20-22, 2019, Monday-Wednesday, Amherst, MA

www: http://www.akbc.ws ; email: info at akbc.ws

Key dates

   -

   April 5, 2019, Friday: Early Registration Deadline
   -

   May 20-21, 2019, Monday-Tuesday: Conference, UMass Amherst
   -

   May 22, 2019, Wednesday: Workshops, UMass Amherst

Knowledge Base Construction

Knowledge gathering, representation, and reasoning are among the
fundamental challenges of artificial intelligence.  Large-scale
repositories of knowledge about entities, relations, and their abstractions
are known as “knowledge bases”.  Most major technology companies now have
substantial efforts in knowledge base construction, and related scholarly
work spans many research areas, including machine learning, natural
language processing, computer vision, information integration, databases,
search, data mining, knowledge representation, human computation,
human-computer interfaces, and fairness.  The AKBC conference serves as a
research forum for all these areas, in both academia and industry.

New Conference

Nearly ten years after the first AKBC workshop in Grenoble, France, AKBC is
becoming a conference.  Why a new stand-alone conference?

   -

   Long-standing and growing interest in the area, now with too much
   material for a one-day workshop.  We have sufficient material for a two-day
   conference plus topical workshops.
   -

   We want to grow and connect the community beyond existing individual
   conference communities, bringing together ML, NLP, DB, IR, KRR, semantics,
   reasoning, common sense, QA, human computation, dialog, HCI.
   -

   We want to set our own culture, including reviewing practices, and
   meeting format. We have fond memories of the first AKBC 2010 in Grenoble: a
   two-day meeting that included an afternoon hike in the Alps with much great
   scientific discussion.
   -

   Why now?  Growing interest across many areas.  Disconnect among multiple
   relevant communities.  Growing industry and government interest.

Program

The program consists of 13 invited talks, oral and poster presentations of
submitted papers, as well as a day of workshops. A list of accepted
conference papers can be found here:
https://openreview.net/group?id=AKBC.ws/2019/Conference

Invited Talks

   -

   Waleed Ammar <https://allenai.org/team/waleeda/> (AI2)
   -

   Danqi Chen <https://cs.stanford.edu/~danqi/> (Princeton)
   -

   Yejin Choi <https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~yejin/> (UW, AI2)
   -

   Laura Dietz <http://www.cs.unh.edu/~dietz/> (UNH)
   -

   Lise Getoor <https://getoor.soe.ucsc.edu/home> (UCSC)
   -

   Alexandra Meliou <https://people.cs.umass.edu/~ameli/> (UMass)
   -

   Fernando Pereira <https://ai.google/research/people/author1092> (Google)
   -

   Hoifung Poon <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/hoifung/>
   (MSR)
   -

   Chris Re <https://cs.stanford.edu/people/chrismre/> (Stanford and Apple)
   -

   Sebastian Riedel <http://www.riedelcastro.org/> (UCL and Facebook)
   -

   Guy Van den Broeck <http://web.cs.ucla.edu/~guyvdb/> (UCLA)
   -

   Claudia Wagner <http://www.claudiawagner.info/> (Leibniz Institute for
   Social Sciences)
   -

   Chris Welty <https://ai.google/research/people/104789> (Google)

Registration

Conference registration is possible via
https://umass.irisregistration.com/Home/Site?code=AKBC for rates between
250 and 450 USD, which includes a banquet dinner and social event ticket,
among other things. Early registration is open until 5 April, hotel rooms
reserved for participants are held until 21 April. More information on
registration and visa applications can be found here:
http://www.akbc.ws/2019/registration/.

Call for Workshop Participation

In addition to the two-day conference program, we will have a one-day
collection of workshops on focused topics. Rather than accepting disjoint
workshop proposals, this year we will have a community-driven process for
devising workshop topics and organizers.  Please visit
http://www.akbc.ws/2019/workshops/ for more details.

Current workshops are:

   -

   Neural and Symbolic Representation and Reasoning
   <https://sites.google.com/view/nsrr-akbc19>
   -

   Scientific Literature Knowledge Bases
   <https://sites.google.com/view/akbc-sci/home>
   -

   Knowledge Bases and Multiple Modalities <https://kb-mm.github.io/>

Workshops accept abstract and paper submissions with deadlines in early
April. Please check the individual workshop websites for further details.

Organizers

General Chair Andrew McCallum <https://people.cs.umass.edu/~mccallum/>,
University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA

Program Co-chair Isabelle Augenstein <http://isabelleaugenstein.github.io/>,
University of Copenhagen, Denmark

Program Co-chair Sameer Singh <http://sameersingh.org/>, University of
California Irvine, USA

Workshop Co-chair Xiang Ren <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~xiangren/>, USC, USA

Workshop Co-chair Partha Pratim Talukdar <http://talukdar.net/>, IISc,
Bangalore, India

Funding Chair Sebastian Riedel <http://www.riedelcastro.org/>, University
College London, UK

Local Co-chair Ari Kobren <https://akobre01.github.io/>, University of
Massachusetts Amherst, USA

Local Co-chair Nicholas Monath <https://people.cs.umass.edu/~nmonath/>,
University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA

Area Chairs

Lora Aroyo

Kai-Wei Chang

Luna Dong