Connectionists: Faculty positions in computational neuroscience and mathematical biology

Brent Doiron bdoiron at pitt.edu
Wed Sep 12 21:59:36 EDT 2018

Dear Connectionists community

The Dietrich School at the University of Pittsburgh invites applications
for two tenure-track faculty positions at the Assistant Professor
level in *Mathematical
and Computational Life Sciences *to begin in the fall term of 2019.
Successful candidates will be placed in the departments most suitable for
their backgrounds and research programs from among the Departments of
Mathematics, Biology, Neuroscience, Physics, and Chemistry.  We seek
outstanding scientists who will enhance and complement our existing
strengths and who will collaborate with members of our sizable
neuroscience, biology, biophysics, and biochemistry communities.

One position is in *Mathematical and Computational Neuroscience. *Candidates
working on the following topics are especially encouraged to apply:

   - Circuits and information flow in neuroscience
   - Neuronal and population dynamics
   - Synaptic mechanisms and dynamics
   - Neuronal membrane properties and ion channel function

The other position is in *Mathematics and Theory of Biological Processes*.
Candidates working on the following topics are especially encouraged to
apply:

   - Mathematical ecology
   - Evolutionary theory
   - Cellular sensing and signal processing
   - Epigenetic and gene network dynamics

The University of Pittsburgh is an active center for interdisciplinary
research in the life sciences offering exciting opportunities for
collaborations across departments as well as with our highly ranked medical
school. The University is currently ranked third in the nation in total NIH
funding, and the city of Pittsburgh is often voted “most livable” in the
nation.  These positions represent part of a vision to grow our community
of researchers at the interface of mathematics, physics, chemistry and the
life sciences.

Successful candidates will have a Ph.D. and should demonstrate substantial
research accomplishment and dedication to teaching.  They will be expected
to establish an extramurally funded research program, train graduate
students, and actively participate in undergraduate education. *Review of
applications will begin on October 23, 2018, *and will continue until the
positions are filled*. *Applicants can apply online at:
https://facultysearch.as.pitt.edu/apply/index/MjQy. Candidates should
submit (a) a cover letter, (b) a CV, (c) a statement of research
accomplishments and future plans, (d) a brief description of teaching
interests, (e) a brief description of how your research, teaching or
service demonstrates a commitment to diversity and inclusion, and (f) at
least three letters of reference (for each reference, you will have the
opportunity to input an email address through Interfolio’s Online
Application system and a notification will be sent to the designated
address with instructions). The positions are pending budgetary approval.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity.
EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled.

Person to Contact:

Erika Carpio

139 University Place

Room 302

Pittsburgh, PA 15206

412-624-8361

--
Professor of Mathematics
Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition