Connectionists: Data Science position available at NIMH, Bethesda, MD

Francisco Pereira francisco.pereira at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:47:55 EDT 2018

Posted on behalf of Adam Thomas at NIMH, please contact
DATASCI-JOBSEARCH at mail.nih.gov directly.

Francisco

Subject: [FSL] Data Science Job Avail @NIMH, Bethesda, MD
For links and better formatting see:
https://github.com/nih-fmrif/dataSci_job_ad/

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is the largest funder of
research on mental disorders in the world, with a current budget of over
$1.4B. Our mission is to to transform the understanding and treatment of
mental illnesses through basic and clinical research, paving the way for
prevention, recovery, and cure. The NIH is a highly rated employer at
glassdoor.com with very competitive salary and benefits packages.

The Data Science and Sharing Team (DSST) is a new group created to develop
and support data sharing and other data-intensive scientific projects
within the NIMH Intramural Research Program (IRP). Working closely with the
NIH Data Science Community the goal of the DSST is to make the NIMH IRP a
leader in open science and data sharing practices. We are looking for a
talented Data Scientist to add to our team. Typical compensation for NIH
staff scientists is available at Glassdoor.

What you’ll do…
BUILD
You will work with a team of researchers and developers to build and deploy
neuroimaging data processing pipelines for investigators within the NIMH
IRP. You will collaborate with and contribute to other projects throughout
the world that are building standards and tools for open and reproducible
neuroscience (e.g. NiPy, BIDS, Jupyter, etc). You'll have the resources of
the NIH HPC Cluster at your disposal as well as additional help from the
AWS cloud. Everything we make is open source and freely distributed.

TEACH
You will work to bolster data science skills within the NIMH IRP by
teaching courses to scientists on best data practices (e.g. Data Carpentry
and ReproNim) as well as interfacing with specific neuroimaging
repositories (e.g. The Human Connectome Project, OpenfMRI, UK Biobank, The
NIMH Data Archive).

SCIENCE
Our team is committed to the NIMH Mission of understanding and treating
mental illness and we believe open, clean data (and lots of it) is crucial
to realizing that mission. You will work closely with (and sit next to) the
Machine Learning Team who are building the models needed to understand
complex brain function.

Who you are…
EXPERIENCED
You should be very comfortable on the command line and with quickly
manipulating large datasets with lots of files. You should also have
experience coding in modern languages currently used in data-intensive,
scientific computing such as Python or R. Alternatively, you may be more
proficient in front-end development and visualization with Javascript.
Experience with distributed, high-performance computing tools such as
Docker/Singularity and batch processing systems such as SLURM is a plus.

PROVEN
Ideally we would like to see a recent degree (BS, MS, or PhD) in a STEM
field, but if you can prove you have an equivalent amount of expertise with
your publications, projects, or github/kaggle ranking, we’re all ears. We
are also interviewing students and part-time staff if you’re still working
on your degree.

DRIVEN
We're looking for someone who's motivated to develop and research their own
ideas. You should be willing and able to argue for the priorities you think
the team should focus on, and work together to achieve those goals. You
should be a self-learner and a self-starter. Please provide some examples
of things you have worked on independently.

How to apply…
Email your resume, a cover letter, and a code sample that demonstrates you
are all three of the above to:

DATASCI-JOBSEARCH at mail.nih.gov

The National Institutes of Health is an equal opportunity employer.