Connectionists: Fully-funded PhD in computational neuroscience at Nottingham, deadline 31st October

Mark Humphries mark.humphries at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 06:41:26 EDT 2018

A fully funded PhD position in Computational Neuroscience is available with Prof. Mark Humphries at the School of Psychology, University of Nottingham.

Deadline: October 31st
Full details and to apply: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/psychology/news/funded-phd-opportunity-prof-mark-humphries.aspx

The Humphries’ lab interrogates how the joint activity of many neurons encodes the past, present, and future, in order to guide behaviour.  We combine simulations of neural circuits with “neural data science” – the development and use of machine-learning approaches to systems neuroscience data. We are particularly interested in PhD projects on the following research questions:

  *   “Mapping the wires from neural activity”. How to use the next generation of imaging techniques that directly record neuron voltages to accurately infer the wiring between neurons.
  *   “How to write activity into neurons". What features of neural activity should we change with optogenetics in order to test hypotheses about population activity?
  *   “Dynamic control of the striatum in health and disease”. How the influence of the striatal interneurons is controlled by dopamine, and how that influence goes haywire when dopamine is lost in Parkinson’s disease.

For a primer on our research, and our recent publications, visit our lab website: /https://www.humphries-lab.org/

To discuss these or other projects, please contact Prof Mark Humphries (mark.humphries at nottingham.ac.uk).

Professor Mark Humphries | MRC Senior non-Clinical Fellow | Chair in Computational Neuroscience

humphries-lab.org<https://www.humphries-lab.org>

[0da17e2a-9ed5-496a-b161-9fd4491ce5c7]@markdhumphries<https://twitter.com/markdhumphries>

Public blog: https://medium.com/the-spike