Connectionists: Frontiers Research Topic on Neuroscience of response inhibition

Vassilis Cutsuridis vcutsuridis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:28:15 EDT 2018

Announcement of the Frontiers Research Topic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neuroscience of response inhibition: bridging scales with experiments and
computational modelling
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response inhibition is the ability to override a planned or an already
initiated response. It is the hallmark of executive control, because it
allows people to flexibly adjust their behaviour according to their goals.
In everyday life, there are many examples of response inhibition, such as
stopping yourself when you are about to cross a street where a speeding car
is approaching. Response inhibition deficits favour impulsive behaviours
which may be detrimental to an individual’s life and it has been linked to
disorders such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder,
obsessive-compulsive disorder, schizophrenia, and substance abuse disorders.
In this Research Topic, we welcome papers critically evaluating the
existing methods of response inhibition, introducing new experimental and
theoretical approaches that probe particular parts of brain circuitry and
unravel neuronal mechanisms as candidates of impulse control. We welcome
scientists from different fields: from neuroscience of microcircuits to
systems neuroscience of large-scale networks and behavioural neuroscience.
The work can be experimental or computational. Commentaries and reviews on
innovative key issues of response inhibition are also welcome.

We invite you to submit a manuscript until November 30, 2018.
Contributions will be published as soon as they are accepted and
synchronously gathered in the Research Topic volume.

For more information, do not hesitate to contact us (email of Vassilis
Cutsuridis: vcutsuridis at gmail.com <digitalesbad at gmail.com>).

The organisers
Vassilis Cutsuridis (University of Lincoln)
Ganesan Venkatasubramanian (National Institute of Mental Health and
Neurosciences, Bangalore, India)