Connectionists: [jobs] Fully funded MS/PhD student positions in Data Science, Computer Vision, Bio-inspired Robotics, and Neural Engineering at IST, VISTEC, Thailand

Poramate Manoonpong poma at mmmi.sdu.dk
Fri Nov 23 12:05:03 EST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

The School of Information Science and Technology (IST) at Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology (VISTEC), Thailand, welcomes all applicants for our international Master's and Doctoral degree program.

Our school offers a competitive, English language, interdisciplinary, world-class PhD training and research program in Information Science and Technology. We have up to 20 fully funded Master and PhD student positions.

Our program includes 2-years MS, 5-years MS+PhD, and 3-years PhD options. The students will be formally affiliated with the Master/PhD program at IST, VISTEC, Thailand. They will have the opportunity to develop new algorithms and research ideas and perform experiments on real hardware, e.g., High performance computing, Big data, Computer vision, Advanced robotic systems, Exoskeleton, and Brain computer interface systems.

Our basic research under the IST umbrella focuses on main areas: Data Science, Cloud/HPC, Computer Vision, IOT, Bio-inspired Robotics, and Neural Engineering.

Data Science and Engineering (Large-Scale Analytics, Data Engineering, Data Mining, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning): We address various scalability issues in machine learning, data mining, database query processing. We are especially interested in developing solutions for machine learning problems with an extremely large number of classes and a scalable system for managing and storing various forms of high-dimensional data. Our application domains include (but not limited to) natural language processing, time series data management, geospatial data mining, business intelligence, IoT data analytics, and health data analytics.

Bio-inspired robotics: We address how to develop brain-like mechanisms for adaptive motor control and autonomous learning of embodied multi-sensorimotor robotic systems (i.e., bio-inspired robots, exoskeleton). We also transfer the developed mechanisms (BRAIN technology) to application areas like human-machine interaction, brain-machine interface, and rehabilitation (see https://brain.vistec.ac.th/  for more details).

Neural Engineering: We address an investigation of closed-loop EEG-based Brain Computer Interface (BCI) helps bridge the gap in communication between man and machine. Understanding patterns of brain activity from basic neuroscience research will help engineering to optimize the BCI system that could be applied in the real-world environment. Advanced signal processing techniques and pattern recognition methods such as machine learning, artificial neural network, and deep learning can improve the efficiency of BCI by increasing information transfer rate and accuracy. Ultimately, research based on BCI could lead to the development of novel tools used in both clinical and healthy populations (see https://brain.vistec.ac.th/  for more details).

Financial Support:

This studentship includes

1) fee bursary to cover the tuition fee rate

2) a maintenance allowance during the study,

3) grant of 1 Million Bath scholarship for international research experience.

Person Specification:

The successful applicant from any nationality will have a strong undergraduate (first class or upper second class) and/or Master's degree in

1) Science (Physics, Mathematics,

Computer and related fields)

2)Engineering (Computer, Mechanical,

Electrical, Robotics, and related fields)

3) Applied Science (Information

Technology, ICT, Machine Learning, and related fields)

Applicants with excellent programming and analytical/mathematical skills as well as expertise and research interests lying at the intersection of Data science, Bio-inspired Robotics, and Neural Engineering are particularly welcome to apply. Applicants from non-English speaking countries will need to satisfy English language entry requirements.

Application Documents:

1. CV

2. Official Transcripts

3. Statement of Purpose/ Statement of research interest

Optional:

4. Letters of recommendation

5. English test score (TOEFL, IELTS, or other tests)

6. Publications, awards & honors

7. Portfolio and other relevant documents

Applications should be submitted online by December 31st, 2018.

<http://www.vistec.in.th/admission/form.php>https://www.vistec.ac.th/admission/form.php

<http://www.vistec.in.th/admission/>https://www.vistec.ac.th/admission/

For further information or questions

please contact
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sarana Nutanong
E-mail: <http://www.tnb.ua.ac.be/mailman/listinfo/comp-neuro> snutanon at vistec.ac.th

Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology, Wangchan Valley

555 Moo1 Payupnai, Wangchan, Rayong 21210 Thailand

Website of VISTEC: https://www.vistec.ac.th