Connectionists: [CFP] IROS-2018 Workshop: Towards Intelligent Social Robots: From Naive Robots to Robot Sapiens

Amir Aly amir.aly at em.ci.ritsumei.ac.jp
Fri Jun 15 09:02:06 EDT 2018

CALL FOR PAPERS

**Apologies for cross posting **

We are pleased to call for papers for the IROS-2018 workshop:

"*Towards Intelligent Social Robots: From Naive Robots to Robot Sapiens*"

In conjunction with the *IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent
Robots and Systems (IROS)** - Madrid - Spain - October *

*5th, 2018*
*Webpage: **http://intelligent-social-robots-ws.com/*
<http://intelligent-social-robots-ws.com/>

*I. Aim and Scope *Robots that cook creatively, clean up our rooms
dutifully, entertain our guests wittily and keep us company loyally. Robots
that assist human users in their daily chores and provide support in times
of need. Researchers around the world have envisioned such robot companions
for a long time. Thanks to numerous innovations in sensor technology and
software development, robots are now increasingly able to plan complex
tasks in unknown environments, learn from experience and adapt to changes
in the environment. The greatest challenges in robotics now lie in the
development of robot skills and high-level AI-based functionalities that
enable robots to work effectively in close collaboration with humans.

Aside from the numerous technical challenges, which must be overcome before
this vision can become a reality, multi-disciplinary research efforts are
also invested into the social engineering of robots. In order to engineer
“smart” robots that we accept, trust and welcome into our homes, it is
paramount that we identify and investigate the factors that affect social
interactions between humans and robots. For this purpose, computer
scientists, AI researchers, engineers and psychologists tackle important
questions that will determine whether robots will be perceived as helpful
and reliable companions or as irritating nuisances. How should robots look,
behave and communicate with us? What are our expectations of robot behavior
in a social context? How can robots learn using the capabilities of their
environments to achieve tasks and to address the needs of their human
co-inhabitants? What kind of robot intelligence is required for what kind
of  tasks?

In this workshop, participants will discuss with seasoned experts and young
researchers what defines social and artificial intelligence for “smart”
robots and how modern technological advances can equip robots with such
intelligence. As such, this workshop aims to shed light on the intersection
between cognitive science, artificial intelligence, and robotics research
both from the theoretical and technical perspectives. Recent advances and
possible avenues for future research in the field of “smart” robotics are
principal topics of discussion during the workshop.

** *This workshop is endorsed by the IEEE Technical Committees*: *Human-Robot
Interaction and Coordination, Cognitive Robotics, and Robot Learning*.

*II. Keynote Speakers      *

   1. *  Angelo Cangelosi *–  University of Manchester/Plymouth – UK
   2.   *Yiannis Aloimonos *– University of Maryland – USA
   3. *  Selma Sabanovic *– Indiana University – USA
   4.   *Michael Beetz* – University of Bremen – Germany
   5.   *Matthias Scheutz *– Tufts University – USA

*III. Submission *

   1. For paper submission, use the following EasyChair web link: *Paper
   Submission
   <https://easychair.org/account/signin.cgi?key=72898427.c11B4hAVw0ZMhuaQ>*
   .
   2. Use the IEEE style (two-column format – US letter): *IEEE Templates
   <https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html>*.
   3. Submitted papers should be limited to 2-6 pages maximum.

    The primary list of topics covers the following points (but not limited
to):

   - Multimodal human robot interaction
   - Cognitive modeling of human behavior
   - Cognitive architectures and strategies for intelligent interaction
   with the environment
   - AI and machine learning approaches applied to human-robot-environment
   interaction
   - Cloud robotics and ubiquitous computing
   - Ambient assisted living
   - Human intention recognition and prediction
   - Robot acceptance
   - Social engineering
   - Language learning, embodiment, and social intelligence
   - Computational modeling for high-level human cognitive functions
   - Predictive learning from sensorimotor information
   - Multimodal interaction and concept formulation
   - Language and action development
   - Learning, reasoning, and adaptation in collaborative human-robot tasks
   - Affordance learning
   - Learning by demonstration and imitation
   - Language and grammar induction in robots

* IV. Important Dates *

   1. Paper submission:
*20-August-2018 *
   2. Notification of acceptance: *30-August-2018*
   3. Camera-ready version:* 7-September-2018 *
   4. Workshop: *5-October-2018*

*V. Organizers   *

   1.   *Amir Aly *– Ritsumeikan University – Japan
   2.   *Sascha Griffiths *– Hamburg University – Germany
   3. *  Verena Nitsch *– Bundeswehr University – Germany
   4.   *Katerina Pastra* – Cognitive Systems Research Institute – Greece
   5.   *Tadahiro Taniguchi* – Ritsumeikan University – Japan

*Amir Aly, Ph.D.*
Senior Researcher
Emergent Systems Laboratory
College of Information Science and Engineering
Ritsumeikan University
1-1-1 Noji Higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577
Japan