Connectionists: Call for papers: ICML 2018 Credit Assignment in Deep Learning and Deep RL Workshop

Rosemary Ke rosemary.nan.ke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:27:05 EDT 2018

Hi,

*I’d like to share the call for papers for our ICML 2018 Workshop on Credit
Assignment in Deep Learning and Deep Reinforcement Learning (ECA at ICML).
It’s a workshop on alternative and efficient credit assignment methods in
DL and DRL. Openreview link:
**https://openreview.net/group?id=ICML.cc/2018/ECA
<https://openreview.net/group?id=ICML.cc/2018/ECA>. Workshop
website: https://sites.google.com/view/creditassignmentindlanddrl/home
<https://sites.google.com/view/creditassignmentindlanddrl/home>*

*TLDR:*

We are interested in submissions that deal with the issue of credit
assignment: how the parameters, actions, or states of a system can be
changed to produce some downstream effect. The work can be experimental,
analytical, or theoretical. We are also open to work in progress. Synthetic
Gradients, Sparse Attentive Backtracking, Equilibrium Propagation and UORO
are examples of the kinds of work that we'd consider to be highly relevant

We welcome submissions related to the following topics:

   - Alternatives to Backpropagation for training deep networks
   - New ways of assigning credit to actions in reinforcement learning
   (e.g. temporal difference learning, eligibility traces)
   - Biologically plausible methods for learning
   - Exploration of the properties of credit assignment through gradient
   descent.

We also identify several pieces of previous work related to credit
assignment:

   - Synthetic Gradients
   - Sparse Attentive Backtracking
   - Equilibrium Propagation
   - Unbiased Online Recurrent Optimization (UORO)
   - Evolution Strategies

We will accept both short paper (4 pages) and long paper (8 pages)
submissions (not including references). Submissions should be in the NIPS
2017 format
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnips.cc%2FConferences%2F2017%2FPaperInformation%2FStyleFiles&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHNCbY4YeArvm_K5UpJyMLwc6Brew>.
A few papers may be selected as oral presentations, and the other accepted
papers will be presented in a poster session. There will be no proceedings
for this workshop, however, upon the author’s request, accepted
contributions will be made available in the workshop website. Submission
are single-blind, peer-reviewed on OpenReview (https://openreview.net/group?
id=ICML.cc/2018/RML
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fopenreview.net%2Fgroup%3Fid%3DICML.cc%2F2018%2FRML&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEtou6q1LW5CUs3h7ddXzC_FyjgQg>),
and open to already published work.