Connectionists: fully funded PhD position in computational neuroscience with Prof. Laurenz Wiskott in Bochum, Germany

Laurenz Wiskott laurenz.wiskott at rub.de
Fri Jun 1 08:35:54 EDT 2018

Please forward this job advertisement to candidates who might be interested.
Thanks, Laurenz Wiskott.

                 Open position for a PhD student with
                     Prof. Laurenz Wiskott at the
           Institute for Neural Computation, Bochum, Germany

 Institute:

   Institute for Neural Computation
   Ruhr-University Bochum
   Universitaetsstr. 150
   D-44801 Bochum, Germany, EU

   The Institute for Neural Computation is a central research institute at the
   Ruhr-University Bochum, see https://www.ini.rub.de/.  It focuses on the dynamics and
   learning of perception and behavior on a functional level but is otherwise very
   diverse, ranging from neurophysiology and psychophysics over computational
   neuroscience to machine learning and technical applications.

 Research group:

   Prof. Dr. Laurenz Wiskott, see http://www.ini.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/PEOPLE/wiskott/

 Research topics:

   We are looking for an outstanding candidate who will be working on a model of the
   hippocampus and neocortex investigating the interplay between episodic memory and
   semantic memory.  We use methods from neural networks and machine learning.  It is
   also planned to simulate experiments done with humans by our experimental partners in
   Bochum and Münster.

   The position is part of a team working jointly on developing a system-level model of
   hippocampal function for memory and navigation.  This is being doing in close
   interaction with a team working on similar questions from the machine learning
   perspective.

 Teaching:

   There is a teaching load of 3 hours per week during the semester, in particular for a
   programming course in python.

 Time:

   The appointment will be for three years and can then be extended for one more year
   if needed.

 Requirements:

   Candidates should have an education (equivalent to a MSc) in computer science,
   physics, mathematics, electrical engineering or any related field. Required are strong
   mathematical and programming skills (ideally in python) as well as the ability to
   communicate and work well in a team.

 Salary:

   Salary is 75% of salary scale TV-L E13.

 Inquiries:

   Informal inquiries can be addressed to Prof. Laurenz Wiskott <laurenz.wiskott at rub.de>.

 Application:

   Applications (CV, transcript of records for MSc and BSc, statement of purpose) should
   be sent as a single file pdf to Prof. Laurenz Wiskott <laurenz.wiskott at rub.de>.

   Ruhr-University Bochum is committed to equal opportunity in employment and gender
   equality in its working environment. We therefore look forward to applications from
   qualified women. Applications from appropriately qualified handicapped persons are
   also encouraged.