Connectionists: Ph.D. Positions at Max Planck Research School for Intelligent Systems, Germany

Georg Martius georg.martius at tuebingen.mpg.de
Thu Jul 26 05:03:37 EDT 2018

*Funded Ph.D. Positions* at the International Max Planck Research School
for Intelligent Systems, in Tübingen and Stuttgart, Germany

*Website: http://imprs.is.mpg.de*
*Deadline: November 15, 2018*

Details:
The Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems and the Universities of
Stuttgart and Tübingen are collaborating to offer an interdisciplinary Ph.D.
program, the International Max Planck Research School for Intelligent Systems.
This doctoral program will accept its Ph.D. generation in spring 2019 and will
enroll about 100 Ph.D. students over the next six years.
This school is a key element of Baden-Württemberg’s “Cyber Valley” initiative
to accelerate basic research and commercial development in artificial
intelligence. We seek students who want to earn a doctorate while contributing
to world-leading research in areas such as

- Computer Vision
- Machine Learning
- Robotics
- Haptics
- Control Systems
- Perceptual Inference
- Computer Graphics
- Micro- and Nano-Robotics

The participating faculty are Frank Allgöwer, Philipp Berens, Matthias Bethge,
Michael J. Black, Andrés Bruhn, Martin Butz, Caterina De Bacco, Peer Fischer,
Andreas Geiger, Matthias Hein, Philipp Hennig, Ardian Jusufi, Katherine J.
Kuchenbecker, Hendrik Lensch, Falk Lieder, Georg Martius, Mi Jung Park,
Ludovic Righetti, Bernhard Schölkopf, Fabian Sinz, Metin Sitti, Alexander
Spröwitz, Ingo Steinwart, Joerg Stueckler, Gabriele Schweikert, Marc
Toussaint, Sebastian Trimpe, Isabel Valera, Ulrike von Luxburg, and Felix
Wichmann.

Intelligent systems that can successfully perceive, act, and learn in complex
environments hold great potential for aiding society. To advance human
knowledge in this domain, we need doctoral students who are curious, creative,
and passionate about research to join our school.  Learn more at
http://imprs.is.mpg.de

- All aspects of the program are in English.
- You may join our program in spring 2019.
- You will be mentored by our internationally renowned faculty.
- You will register as a university graduate student and conduct research for
approximately three years.
- You can take part in a wide variety of scientific seminars, advanced training
workshops, and social activities.
- Your doctoral degree will be conferred when you successfully complete your
Ph.D. project.
- Our dedicated coordinator will assist you throughout your time as a doctoral
student.

People with a strong academic background and a master’s degree in Engineering,
Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Mathematics, Control Theory,
Neuroscience, Materials Science, Physics, or related fields should apply.

We seek to increase the number of women in areas where they are
underrepresented, so we explicitly encourage women to apply. We are committed
to employing more handicapped individuals and especially encourage them to
apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our
institutions.

Admission will be competitive. If selected, you will receive funding via an
employment contract, subject to the rules of the Max Planck Society and the
two participating universities.

You can apply at http://imprs.is.mpg.de before midday CET on November 15,
2018. The selection interviews will take place between January 29 and February
1, 2019 in Stuttgart and Tübingen, Germany.

For further information please contact
Dr. Leila Masri at imprs at is.mpg.de or visit our website http://imprs.is.mpg.de