Connectionists: AI Research Scientist Position at Disney Research

Ashutosh Modi ashutosh at coli.uni-sb.de
Fri Feb 23 16:42:27 EST 2018

Hi All,

Disney Research Los Angeles is looking for a Research Scientist in
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning with applications in Natural
Language Representation, Understanding, and Generation for Embodied
Conversational Agents.

As part of The Walt Disney Company, Disney Research builds upon a rich
legacy of innovation and technology leadership in the entertainment
industry that continues to this day. Disney Research was launched in 2008
offering the best attributes of academia and industry with the goal of
driving value across the company through technological innovation. Our
research covers a broad range of exciting and challenging applications that
are experienced daily by millions of people around the world.

Our staff interacts directly with all core business areas of The Walt
Disney Company including Theme Parks and Imagineering, Consumer Products,
our Live Action and Animation Studios, and Media Networks. We publish our
research and are actively engaged with the global research community, and
our researchers collaborate closely with local academic institutions.

We are looking for passionate and creative individuals who want to shape
the future of entertainment in collaboration with the greatest creative
minds in the world. You will work with artists, engineers, scientists,
filmmakers, and actors to understand the impact of your work under an
umbrella of the world’s most beloved characters and stories. With access to
very unique data, you will tackle problems that are only possible to
explore at Disney and tailor your research efforts to directly impact guest
experiences

• Are you looking for unique data and problems?
• Are you passionate about your research and excited by the opportunity to
apply your work to the
Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney Feature Animation universes?
• Are you excited by the opportunity to perform deep, game changing
research, while contributing
to world knowledge, and being directly responsible for the smile of a child
(or the child at heart)?
If so, join our team and let’s make the impossible, possible.

*Duties:*
• Drive value for The Walt Disney Company through groundbreaking research
and innovation
• Hiring and mentoring post-doctoral researchers, interns, and work with
external collaborators
• Develop a strong network of business partners within the company
• Lead efforts to transfer technology to relevant Disney business units
• Publish research results and patent inventions
• Participate in conferences, workshops, and academic-industrial events

*Required Qualifications:*
• Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, or related technical fields
• Proven track record of publishing in conferences such as AAAI, NIPS,
ICML, ACL, or EMNLP or
significant industrial experience
• Possess strong technical presentation skills and ability to communicate
with technical and non-
technical audiences clearly

*Desired Qualifications:*
Experience in the following areas is desirable:
• Statistical models for Natural Language Parsing, understanding and
generation
• Statistical Dialogue systems and dialogue planning
• Deep Learning models
• Interactive speech and language technologies
• Speech recognition and synthesis
• Prosody analysis and synthesis
• Symbolic Reasoning and Inferencing
• Human-Computer/Human-Robot Interfaces

*To apply:*
Please submit a current CV along with a cover letter at the following URL:
https://www.disneyresearch.com/job_posting/rs-ai-drla/

Best Regards,
Dr. Ashutosh Modi