Connectionists: Research Scientist Position at Yahoo Research, New York

David Pal dpal at oath.com
Thu Aug 30 10:59:59 EDT 2018

Yahoo Research (at Oath) is growing its strategic research teams to enable
the company to build new products and platforms that our customers need,
now and in the future. We have exciting job openings in several technical
focus areas that are located in our New York City office located in
Greenwich Village, one of the most exciting NYC neighborhoods.

We hire best scientific minds who like to roll up their sleeves, make new
discoveries and contribute to the success of the business. We are looking
for Research Scientists with a PhD degree in Computer Science, Industrial
or Electrical Engineering or Mathematical Optimization. Our scientists
specialize in designing and building scalable and reliable distributed and
parallel systems that serve all the aspects of big data like data mining,
optimization, machine learning, computational economics and analytics. Our
group recently grew in all the above disciplines and we continue our
expansion.

We design innovative algorithms to push the capacity, performance and
reliability of our platforms, exploit novel hardware and software
architectures, and evaluate the impact in Web-scale production settings. We
actively contribute to the scientific and open source communities in
foundations of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Mathematical
Optimization and Computational Economics.

Here  are some reasons to explore this opportunity:

1.     We have a huge number of research problems to solve that lie on the
intersection of Optimization, Machine Learning and Computational Economics.
If you are an expert in one of these fields and want to expand your
research profile this is an ideal place for you.

2.     We work on game changing products and solutions, you can quickly see
how your research ideas and algorithms influence revenue and user
engagement. The selection of our projects is unparalleled and we have
amazing relationships with the product groups.

3.     We care about you continuing your fundamental research, publishing
papers and keeping track of the latest technologies developed in your
respective field.

Responsibilities Include:

·        Deep dive into the data to understand and apply patterns, while
maintaining a sense of the big picture.

·        Work closely with colleagues on the engineering team to put
research results into action.

·        Provide thought leadership to guide the direction of Yahoo
products and services.

·        Push your own research agenda and look to influence our products
and services with your expertise.

Required Skills and Qualifications

·      PhD in Computer Science, Industrial or Electrical Engineering or
Mathematical Optimization.

·      Strong research track record (academic or industrial) in one of the
following areas: Mathematical Optimization and Algorithm Design, Data
Analytics, Machine Learning, Computational Economics (auctions, pricing,
mechanism design) or related areas.

·    Strong design and implementation skills in Java, Scala or C++.
Experience with large-scale production code development is a plus.

·          Ability to conduct research that is justified and guided by
business opportunities.

·          Strong communication and presentation skills.

Please send your CV and a short letter of interest to Maxim Sviridenko
(sviri at oath dot com). Soft application deadline is September 30, 2018.