Connectionists: Postdoctoral positions and PhD Studentships

Jeffrey Bowers J.Bowers at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Nov 20 12:36:52 EST 2017

Postdoctoral positions and PhD Studentships for ERC Advanced Grant entitled: ‘Generalization in Mind and Machine’.  Based at the University of Bristol, UK.

Please go to the following link to find out more about this project:  https://jeffbowers.blogs.ilrt.org/researchgrants/  If you are potentially interested in a position please send me your CV and a short statement explaining why you are interested.  I will be at NIPS 2017 and if I think there might be a fit I would be happy to meet up and talk more about the project.  I anticipate officially advertising for posts early in the new year.

Unlike most work with deep neural network, this project uses networks with the intention to better understand the human mind/brain.  For one post I would like to hire a computer scientist with expertise in deep learning. In this case, knowledge of psychology and neuroscience desirable, but not strictly necessary.  For other posts, modelling in psychology and neuroscience is a prerequisite.  For PhD positions a modelling background is desirable, but not strictly necessary.

To have a better idea of the perspective I take on neural network modelling, please see the following paper:

https://jeffbowers.blogs.ilrt.org/files/2017/11/bowers-tics-2017.pdf

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  Sincerely,

Jeff Bowers

j.bowers at bristol.ac.uk