Connectionists: Registration Open - EPFL Online Course: Simulation Neuroscience I

Eilif Muller eilif.mueller at epfl.ch
Wed Jun 7 09:11:13 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to bring to your attention this upcoming new course on
Simulation Neuroscience we are offering online, leveraging the HBP
Brain Simulation Platform.  It is the first of 3 planned courses
through which we will teach students to construct and simulate
data-driven microcircuits, like the Blue Brain cortical model.  More
details are below.

Many thanks for forwarding to students who may be potentially
interested.

Best regards,
Eilif

===== ANNOUNCEMENT =====

The Center for Digital Education of the École polytechnique fédérale de
Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland in cooperation with the Blue Brian Project
is welcoming students to participate in a new online course entitled:

Simulation Neuroscience I - Reconstruction of a single neuron

Faculty: Prof. Henry Markram, Prof. Idan Segev, Prof. Sean Hill, Prof.
Felix Schuermann, Samuel Kerrian, Lida Kanari, Werner Van Geit, Dr.
Srikanth Ramaswamy, Dr. Eilif Muller

Abstract:
Simulation Neuroscience is an emerging approach to integrate the
knowledge dispersed throughout the field of neuroscience. The aim is to
build a unified empirical picture of the brain, to study the biological
mechanisms of brain function, behaviour and disease. This is achieved
by integrating diverse data sources across the various scales
of experimental neuroscience, from molecular to clinical, into computer
simulations.

In a series of three courses, you will learn to use the
state-of-the-art modelling tools of the Human Brain Project Brain
Simulation Platform to simulate neurons, build neural networks, and
perform your own simulation experiments. This is the first course of
the series that will teach you how to digitally reconstruct a single
neuron.

We invite you to join us and share in our passion to reconstruct,
simulate and understand the brain!

The course is targeted at senior bachelor, master or PhD students in
science or engineering fields looking for an introduction to Simulation
Neuroscience.  It is a 6 week course, with an estimated course load of
5-7 hours per week.

The registration deadline is June 13, 2017
The start date of the course is June 15, 2017

Registration is limited due to available compute resources, on a
first-come, first-served basis.

For more information:
https://actu.epfl.ch/news/mooc-simulation-neuroscience-reconstruction-of-a-s/

-------------
Dr. Eilif Muller
Section Manager - Simulation Neuroscience - Cells & Circuits
Task Leader - Community Engagement - HBP Brain Simulation SP

EPFL - Blue Brain Project
Biotech Campus
Chemin des Mines 9
1202 Geneva