Connectionists: Summer Undergraduate Program in Computational Neuroscience

Dave Touretzky dst at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 16 21:54:34 EST 2017

Carnegie Mellon - University of Pittsburgh Joint Summer Undergraduate
Program in Computational Neuroscience

Undergraduates interested in receiving research training in
computational neuroscience are encouraged to apply to an NIH-sponsored
summer program at the Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition in
Pittsburgh. The Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition is a joint
interdisciplinary program of Carnegie Mellon University and the
University of Pittsburgh. Starting in May of 2017, a select group of
talented undergraduates will embark on a 10-week residential program
that provides intensive, mentored research experiences in
computational and theoretical neuroscience. Admitted students will
receive a stipend and university dormitory housing.

The 2017 program will run from late May through early August, 2017
(precise dates will be announced in March). The final deadline for
application is February 23. Interested students should complete the
short pre-application form:

https://goo.gl/forms/n8RKA0LdZlYBKmHq2

More information can be found on our website:

http://www.cnbc.cmu.edu/summercompneuro

The core of the program is the opportunity to carry out an individual
mentored research project working closely with a faculty mentor. Other
aspects of the scientific program include faculty research talks,
student presentations and discussion of articles from the scientific
literature, presentations on career options and scientific ethics, and
a concluding symposium in which students present their research.

This program is intended for students who wish to pursue a Ph.D. after
graduation. Any undergraduate may apply, but we are especially
interested in attracting students with strong quantitative
backgrounds. Many of our trainees are from colleges and universities
that do not have extensive research programs, but all must be United
States citizens or permanent residents, must be enrolled at a 4-year
accredited institution, and must be in their sophomore or junior year
at the time of application.  CNBC is dedicated to creating an
inclusive and welcoming environment for all students and we encourage
applications from women, under-represented minorities, and individuals
with disabilities.