Connectionists: Professor of Autonomous Robot Vehicles

Tony Pipe Tony.Pipe at brl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 22 07:42:10 EST 2017

Job title: Professor of Autonomous Robot Vehicles

Department: Bristol Robotics Laboratory
Campus/location: Frenchay, Bristol campus
Salary band: £61,196 - £88,361 - commensurate with experience and
qualifications
Duration of post: Permanent

Closing date: 28 January 2018 @ 23:59

Job Overview:

The Bristol Robotics Laboratory at the Faculty of Environment &
Technology have an exciting permanent and full time position for a
Professor of Autonomous Robot Vehicles to join BRL within the
Engineering, Design & Mathematics Department.

The Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS) research-and-innovation
pipeline is now experiencing unprecedented growth, evidenced by
substantial new research opportunities appearing across the UK, EU and
global funding landscape.

We are therefore looking to appoint a Professor of Autonomous Robot
Vehicles. Due to substantial existing external funding for Research and
Development in the Connected Autonomous Vehicle (CAV) sub-thematic area,
there will be an initial strong emphasis on terrestrial vehicles.

However, we would promote extension and integration activities to take
full advantage of the other areas of existing vehicle research in
Bristol Robotics Laboratory, so you will build on significant existing
strengths to champion an exciting new research theme of wider scope that
could include terrestrial, aerial and underwater Autonomous Robot Vehicles.

Prime amongst the techniques to be investigated are:
a) Effective and appropriate use of advanced wireless technologies for
vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications,
especially with respect to coordinated group activity;
b) Decision Making Systems, especially their effectiveness and safety in
the presence of experiential learning;
c) Environmental sensor and perception systems and their effective
interfacing both to vehicle lower-level control and Decision Making Systems.

We are looking for a candidate that could take on the challenge of
joining these common factors across the application domains of vehicle
categories, i.e., a candidate who will work with and grow our existing
teams to make best use of our extensive facilities. These facilities
include simulated and advanced wirelessly network connected real-world
road-going and indoor mobile vehicle testing, a substantial instrumented
flying arena, and similarly instrumented underwater vehicle facilities.

We welcome applications from gifted researchers from strongly linked
disciplines who are fully committed to developing one or more of the
areas of research outlined above. Those applicants, who are willing to
exploit the full innovation pipeline via our extensive in-house business
incubator facilities, as well as undertaking fundamental research, will
be viewed especially favourably.

In addition to progressive pay rates, UWE Bristol also offers:

• a generous holiday allowance of 35 Days
• up to 12.5 bank holiday/closure days per year in addition;
• flexible working;
• excellent defined benefit pension schemes;
• option to participate in the cycle to work scheme;
• family friendly policies;
• onsite nursery at our Frenchay Campus;
• option to purchase childcare vouchers.

This post is based in the Bristol Robotics Laboratory at our Frenchay
campus.

Please see the attached full job description and person specification
for the role.

If you have any queries or would like an informal discussion, please
contact Tony Pipe on 01173286330 or email: Tony.Pipe at brl.ac.uk.

Link to Bristol Robotics Laboratory with more details of the laboratory
and full advert is: http://www.brl.ac.uk
(http://www.brl.ac.uk/jobsatbrl.aspx for advert only).

Alternative link for more details of the role and how to apply, please
visit:
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BGJ285/professor-of-autonomous-robot-vehicles/

--
Tony Pipe
Professor of Robotics and Autonomous Systems

Bristol Robotics Laboratory
T-Building
Frenchay Campus
Bristol UK BS16 1QY