Connectionists: open-rank position in computer science with contributions to cognitive science

Carmel Levitan levitan at oxy.edu
Thu Sep 29 17:03:09 EDT 2016

I am pleased to announce that my department has an open-rank search that is
now live:

http://www.oxy.edu/cognitive-science/computer-scientist-search

The Department of Cognitive Science at Occidental College invites
applications for an open-rank faculty position in Computer Science. We seek
a computer scientist who has a strong interest in building Occidental’s
Computer Science program and who can also contribute to Cognitive Science.
We have a preference for candidates with research interests at the
intersection of computer science and cognitive science (broadly construed),
including such areas as computational neuroscience, artificial
intelligence, computer vision, computational linguistics,
human-computer/robotic interactions, computer science education, and game
design.

Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field, and a
strong commitment to educating undergraduates through teaching and
research. The successful candidate is expected to:

   1. teach introductory and advanced courses in computer science;
   2. participate in team-teaching our introduction to cognitive science
   course;
   3. offer additional courses in computer science and/or cognitive science
   to enhance our current offerings;
   4. develop a rigorous research program involving undergraduates;
   5. advise students across the College who may be interested in computing;
   6. work in consultation with the Computer Science Advisory Committee to
   develop a vision for expansion of our current computer science program
   beyond a minor, and
   7. participate in regular service to the department and the College.

Occidental College is a nationally-ranked small liberal arts institution
situated in Los Angeles. Occidental is located in the culturally-rich
neighborhoods of Eagle Rock and Highland Park, near Caltech, the Jet
Propulsion Lab, the Natural History Museum, and other major research
institutions. The College is committed to academic excellence in a diverse
community and supporting interdisciplinary and multicultural academic
programs that provide a gifted and diverse group of students with an
educational experience that prepares them for leadership in a pluralistic
world. We, therefore, strongly encourage applications from candidates who
will further Occidental’s mission of excellence and equity in their
teaching, scholarship, and/or service.

Applicants should submit the following: (1) a cover letter detailing your
interest in teaching in a liberal arts environment; (2) a statement of
teaching philosophy, including how you will support and enhance the
College’s goal of building a strong educational environment in classrooms
that have an ethnically, socio-economically, and culturally diverse student
body (include teaching evaluations, evidence of effective advising, or
other data, if available); (3) a statement of research interests and
experience, including how students will participate in or benefit from your
research; (4) a curriculum vitae; and (5) three confidential letters of
recommendation (request writers to send separately). Electronic application
materials should be addressed to Dr. Andrew Shtulman, Chair, Computer
Science Search, and sent by email to Patricia Micciche at micciche at oxy.edu.
Review of applications will begin on November 15, 2016.

Occidental College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not
discriminate against employees or applicants because of race, religious
creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and mental disability,
medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender
identity, gender expression, age, or sexual orientation, or any other
characteristic protected by State or Federal Law. We strongly encourage all
underrepresented candidates, especially women and persons of color, to
apply.