Connectionists: Fwd: Interdisciplinary Cognitive Science / Computational Cognition Assistant Prof @ Berkeley

Joseph Austerweil joseph.austerweil at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 15:46:33 EDT 2016

On Behalf of Tania Lombrozo (lombrozo at berkeley.edu) at UC Berkeley,

Dear Colleagues,

This year we have a search for an Assistant Professor in Interdisciplinary
Cognitive Science / Computational Cognition at UC Berkeley. I would very
much appreciate your help in circulating this ad to promising candidates
who work within cognition / cognitive science, especially those with a
formal or computational bent. We are eager to recruit a broad and diverse
set of applicants.

We are accepting applications through November 15. You can find a copy of
the job description and application instructions at
https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01118, with the job description
additionally pasted below.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Tania Lombrozo

-----

The Department of Psychology and the Cognitive Science Program seek to fill
a tenure- track assistant professor faculty position in the area of
computational cognitive science, with an anticipated start date of July 1,
2017. We are interested in candidates with exceptional promise who are
conducting research in cognition from an interdisciplinary perspective.
Research interests may include but are not limited to memory, learning,
reasoning, problem solving, and decision-making. We are especially
interested in applicants taking an interdisciplinary approach that bridges
psychology and another discipline within cognitive science, such as
computer science, philosophy, linguistics, anthropology, biology, or
education, and in applicants with skills in computational modeling, data
science, or other formal approaches. The position will be within
Psychology, but teaching commitments will be distributed across Psychology
and the Cognitive Science Program. The department is interested in
candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher
education through their teaching. The University is committed to supporting
employees as they balance work and family.

Ph.D. or equivalent degree is required by date of hire. Candidates must
have completed all degree requirements except the dissertation at the time
of application. The department is interested in candidates who will
contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through
their teaching, research, and service.

To apply, please go to the following link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu
/apply/JPF01118

Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of
research, summary of teaching experience and interests, a brief statement
addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through
research, teaching, and/or service, and two to five reprints or preprints.
Applicants should also arrange for the online submission of three to five
letters of recommendation. All letters will be treated as confidential per
University of California policy and California state law. Please refer
potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party
(i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of
confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting
their letters.

Applications must be received by November 15, 2016. Please direct questions
to psychsearch at berkeley.edu, and include “Interdisciplinary Approaches to
Cognition” in the subject line.

The University is committed to addressing the family needs of faculty,
including dual career couples and single parents. For information about
potential relocation to Berkeley, or career needs of accompanying partners
and spouses, please visit: http://ofew.berkeley.edu/new- faculty

The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected
veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination
and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/400
0376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.

--
Tania Lombrozo