Connectionists: Seeking Applicants to Behavioral & Neural Sciences Ph.D. Program at Rutgers University-Newark interested in Cognitive Neuroscience of Learning and Memory (Deadline: December 15th, 2016)

Mark Gluck gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 19 21:55:04 EDT 2016

Re: 	Seeking Students interested in Cognitive, Clinical, and Computational Neuroscience of Learning and Memory to Apply to the Behavioral & Neural Sciences Ph.D. Program at Rutgers University-Newark  (Deadline: December 15th, 2016)

Dear Colleagues:
	If you know of bright, well trained, and highly motivated graduating seniors or research assistants at your institution who are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in cognitive and/or systems neuroscience, I would be obliged if you would pass this email on to them.
	I am especially interested in students interested in working with me on the cognitive, clinical, and computational neuroscience of learning, memory, and decision making. Current projects in my lab include (1) neuroimaging, computational, and behavioral studies of sleep and its impact on emotional cognition and insight learning (2) studies of psychiatric patients with clinical depression or post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and how learning and generalization in these patents is affected by pharmacological and behavioral interventions, and related to their clinical symptoms, (3) the effects of aerobic exercise and physical activity on brain function and cognition in older adults, (4) community-based participatory research on African-American brain health and health disparities (through our African-American Brain Health Initiative), (5) genetic influences on medial temporal lobe and striatal function in aging, (6) cognitive changes in Parkinson’s disease and how these are affected by clinical treatments and individual differences in motor symptoms. For additional details, lecture videos, an overview of current lab members, and downloadable publications and research summaries, see
					http://www.gluck.edu/ <http://www.gluck.edu/>
	The Graduate Program in Behavioral and Neural Sciences (BNS) at Rutgers University-Newark prepares students for neuroscience careers in academia, industry, public administration, and scientific publishing by providing both general instruction across all areas of neuroscience as well as focused training within one area of specialization. BNS Students are supported financially by the graduate program (not by individual faculty) for five years; they receive full tuition remission and benefit from a comprehensive health insurance. A NIH Minority Biomedical Research Support (MBRS) training grant provides additional support services for students from under-represented minority groups or from disadvantaged backgrounds.
	The BNS curriculum offers a wide range of courses that provide a broad and in depth knowledge in neuroscience, including an intensive neuroscience “Bootcamp” in the fall of their first year, and a comprehensive series of four core courses taught by all our faculty. Students in our graduate program are trained primarily to conduct independent research and to present and discuss their results orally and in written form. Students also gain experience in undergraduate and graduate teaching and mentoring. The integration of Rutgers University-Newark with our medical school (known now as Rutgers Behavioral and Health Sciences), provides our students with additional clinically-relevant training and research opportunities.
	The research interests of BNS faculty are diverse and span all levels of analysis in the neurosciences, from genes and molecules to microcircuits and complex systems.  Their research methods are similarly varied as they combine electrophysiological, neurochemical, anatomical, imaging, behavioral, and neuropsychological methods to analyze how the brain works, develops, interacts with the environment, and is modified by experience in health and disease.
	The campus of the BNS program is located in Newark, New Jersey, 13 miles from Manhattan, New York City, with extensive public transportation links between the two (many faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and students live in New York City). Key web links are:

Faculty profiles and Rutgers-Newark info: http://www.neuroscience.newark.rutgers.edu <http://www.neuroscience.newark.rutgers.edu/>
Rutgers University Brain Imaging Center: http://rubic.rutgers.edu <http://rubic.rutgers.edu/>
BNS Admissions (to apply online): http://www.bns.rutgers.edu <http://www.bns.rutgers.edu/>
	The deadline for applications is December 15, 2016.  Formal interviews and visits by the top US candidates usually take place at Rutgers-Newark in early February (international candidates may be interviewed via Skype or phone). Late applications may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
	In addition, I welcome promising applicants specifically interested in working in my lab to contact me to arrange an informal visit sometime during the fall to meet with my lab members and join us for lab meetings and research activities. The best day for this is usually a Wednesday when we have most of our meetings (Mondays sometimes also).

Regards,
Mark Gluck, Professor of Neuroscience

Dr. Mark A. Gluck,  Professor
Center for Molecular & Behavioral Neuroscience
Rutgers University — Newark
197 University Ave.
Newark, New Jersey  07102
 	 Web:  http://www.gluck.edu <http://www.gluck.edu/>