Connectionists: Assistant Professor position in Machine Learning at Dartmouth

Lorenzo Torresani LT at dartmouth.edu
Mon Sep 12 13:08:56 EDT 2016

The Dartmouth College Department of Computer Science invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the level of assistant professor. We seek candidates who will be excellent researchers and teachers in the area of machine learning. We particularly seek candidates who will help lead, initiate, and participate in collaborative research projects within Computer Science and beyond, including Dartmouth researchers from other Arts & Sciences departments, Geisel School of Medicine, Thayer School of Engineering, and Tuck School of Business.

The Computer Science department is home to 21 tenured and tenure-track faculty members and two research faculty members.  Research areas of the department encompass the areas of security, computational biology, machine learning, robotics, systems, algorithms, theory, digital arts, vision, and graphics.  The Computer Science department is in the School of Arts & Sciences, and it has strong Ph.D. and M.S. programs and outstanding undergraduate majors. The department is affiliated with Dartmouth's M.D.-Ph.D. program and has strong collaborations with Dartmouth's other schools.

Dartmouth College, a member of the Ivy League, is located in Hanover, New Hampshire (on the Vermont border). Dartmouth has a beautiful, historic campus, located in a scenic area on the Connecticut River.  Recreational opportunities abound in all four seasons.

We seek candidates who have a demonstrated ability to contribute to Dartmouth’s undergraduate diversity initiatives in STEM research, such as the Women in Science Program, E. E. Just STEM Scholars Program, and Academic Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (ASURE). We are especially interested in applicants with a demonstrated track record of successful teaching and mentoring of students from all backgrounds (including first-generation college students, low-income students, racial and ethnic minorities, women, LGBTQ, etc.).

Applicants are invited to submit application materials via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/37189. Upload a CV, research statement, and teaching statement, and request at least four references to upload letters of recommendation, at least one of which should comment on teaching. Email Lorenzo.Torresani at Dartmouth.edu with any questions.

Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.

Application review will begin January 1, 2017, and continue until the position is filled.