Connectionists: [COGPSY] [publication and call for dialog] Autonomous Mental Development

Professor Ron Sun rsun at rpi.edu
Wed Jan 6 13:08:14 EST 2016

The discussions below regarding "representational redescription" remind me of the following paper:
R. Sun, Autonomous generation of symbolic representations through subsymbolic activities <http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun/folder-files/sun-symgen-2012.pdf>. Philosophical Psychology, Vol.26, No.6, pp.888-912. 2013.
I will appreciate any feedback on this paper.

While I am at it, here is another (old) paper on this topic:
R. Sun, E. Merrill, and T. Peterson, From implicit skills to explicit knowledge: A bottom-up model of skill learning.  <http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun/sun.CS99.ps>Cognitive Science, Vol.25, No.2, pp.203-244. 2001. [PDF <http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun/sun.cs01.pdf>]
as well as this book:
R. Sun, Duality of the Mind <http://www.cogsci.rpi.edu/~rsun/book6-ann.html>. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ. 2002.

Best regards,
-Ron

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 4:35 AM, Pierre-Yves Oudeyer <pierre-yves.oudeyer at inria.fr> wrote:
>

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am happy to announce the release of the latest issue of the IEEE CIS Newsletter on Cognitive and Developmental Systems (open access, previously names newsletter on Autonomous Mental Development).
> This is a biannual newsletter addressing computational modeling of developmental and cognitive processes in natural and artificial organisms, from humans to robots, at the crossroads of cognitive science, developmental psychology, machine intelligence and neuroscience.
>
> It is available at: https://goo.gl/HQAMsd <https://goo.gl/HQAMsd>
>
> Featuring dialog:
> === "Representational redescription: the next challenge?"
> == Dialog Initiated by Stéphane Doncieux, with responses from Jessica Kosie and Dare Baldwin, Georges Konidaris, Freek Stulp and Timothy Hospedales, Paul Verschure and Giovanni Pezzulo, Frank Guerin, Paul Abelha and Bipin Indurkhya.
> == This issue’s dialog explores various challenges of how and why capabilities to change representations could be happening in robots. In particular, contributors discuss how new representations can be formed out of the dynamic interaction between learning algorithms, cognitive architecture and their physical and social embodiment.
>
> Call for new dialog:
> === "Moving Beyond Nature-Nurture: a Problem of Science or Communication? »
> == Dialog initiated by John Spencer, Mark Blumberg and David Shenk
> == John Spencer, Mark Blumberg and David Shenk observe that in spite of numerous scientific discoveries supporting the view of development as a complex multi-factored process, the discussions of development in several scientific fields and in the general public are still strongly organized around the nature/nurture distinction. Thus, they ask a crucial question: is this because there is not yet sufficient scientific evidence, or is this because the simplicity of the nature/nurture framework is much easier to communicate (or just better communicated by its supporters)? Those of you interested in reacting to this dialog initiation are welcome to submit a response by April 15th, 2015. The length of each response must be between 600 and 800 words including references (contact pierre-yves.oudeyer at inria.fr <mailto:pierre-yves.oudeyer at inria.fr>).
>
> You will also find news about the IEEE CIS CDS Technical Committee and the ICDL-Epirob 2016 conference.
>
> Let me remind you that previous issues of the newsletter are all open-access and available at: http://icdl-epirob.org/cdsnl <http://icdl-epirob.org/cdsnl>
>
> I wish you a stimulating reading!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre-Yves Oudeyer,
>
> Editor of the IEEE CIS Newsletter on Cognitive and Developmental Systems
> Chair of the IEEE CIS AMD Technical Committee on Cognitive and Developmental Systems
> [...]
Professor Ron Sun
Cognitive Sciences Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 Eighth Street, Carnegie 302A