Connectionists: Openings for postdocs in Geneva

Jolivet, Renaud r.jolivet at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Feb 17 05:24:46 EST 2016

(Apologies for cross-posting)

I am looking for postdocs to expand my lab and contribute to medical physics activities in our department. My lab is shared between the Département de Physique Nucléaire et Corpusculaire at the University of Geneva (http://dpnc.unige.ch/) and the Experimental Physics Department of CERN (http://home.cern/) with access to a brand new wet lab for experiments at Geneva University Hospitals (http://www.hug-ge.ch/). This is a unique opportunity to work at the interface between physics, biology and medicine with a focus in neuroscience, and to build a vast scientific network in a truly multidisciplinary and international environment.

I am particularly interested by candidates with a profile in neuroscience (computational or experimental) to work on two distinct projects. The first (computational) project will build on recent papers investigating [i] the compartmentalisation of energy metabolism in the brain (http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1004036; http://dx.doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0415-11.2011; http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/neuro.14.004.2009) and [ii] how energetic constraints shape information processing in neural networks (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2015.10.063; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2012.08.019). The second project will build on yet unpublished data (paper in revision) and investigate the physiology and pathophysiology of microglia in vivo using multiphoton microscopy. Other research directions are possible and can be discussed.

It is anticipated that the candidates will apply for their own funding, for instance a Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellowship (or equivalent; see here http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/opportunities/h2020/topics/2226-msca-if-2016.html). If eligible, candidates could also consider an Ambizione fellowship from the Swiss National Science Foundation as a path to independence (http://www.snf.ch/en/funding/careers/ambizione/Pages/default.aspx).

If you are interested, please contact me at renaud.jolivet at unige.ch<mailto:renaud.jolivet at unige.ch> and send me a CV, list of publications, the names of three references and a brief description of your research interests.

More information about life in Geneva can be found here https://www.lonelyplanet.com/switzerland/geneva and here http://www.ville-geneve.ch/welcome-geneva/. The University of Geneva ranks 33 for science worldwide (http://www.shanghairanking.com/FieldSCI2015.html).

—
Prof. Renaud Jolivet
CERN, Experimental Physics Department &
University of Geneva, Physics Section