Connectionists: PhD position - Coding of retinal ganglion cells - Multi-electrode array - Oldenburg, Germany

Jutta Kretzberg jutta.kretzberg at uni-oldenburg.de
Thu Mar 26 04:14:38 EDT 2015

The Visual Neuroscience group at the University of Oldenburg, Germany is
offering a

PhD position (TV-L E13 50%) in
population coding of retinal ganglion cells

starting in May 2015. The position is initially funded until March 31 2018.

The goal of our research is to understand how visual signals are
transmitted from the retina to the brain. We study how populations of
neurons encode information using large-scale multi-electrode arrays,
which are able to record the responses of around a thousand neurons of
various cell-types simultaneously for several hours.

The visual stimulus is transduced into electrical signals by the
photoreceptors of the retina, processed by many types of interneurons,
and conveyed to the brain by the ganglion cells along their axons that
form the optic nerve. All visual information is encoded in temporal
patterns of electrical impulses of the ganglion cells. We know from
morphological studies that over 20 types of ganglion cells exist. Each
type carries a specialized and distinct representation of the visual
environment to different targets in the brain. We do not know the
response properties of many types, especially in natural viewing
conditions, nor do we fully understand how the diverse information sent
by the different cell types collectively determines visual perception
and behavior. For more information please visit www.uni-oldenburg.de/retina.

We seek a highly motivated PhD student with an academic university
degree (Master or Diploma) in Biology, Physics, Informatics or related
fields. Applicants should have strong computing skills, experience or
training in neuroscience and interest in vision research.
Electrophysiological experience is an advantage.

The Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg is dedicated to
increasing the percentage of women in science. Therefore, equally
qualified female candidates will be given preference. Applicants with
disabilities will be preferentially considered in case of equal
qualification.

Please submit your application (in English or German) including a
motivation letter with a description of your scientific interest, a CV,
degree certificates, and contact information of two references to Prof.
Dr. Martin Greschner (martin.greschner at uni-oldenburg.de) preferably by
email, as a single pdf-file or by mail to the Universität Oldenburg,
Fakultät VI, Visual Neuroscience, 26111 Oldenburg. Applications will be
considered until April 20th.