Connectionists: Postdoc and graduate student positions in computational neuroscience and machine learning

Jakob Macke Jakob.Macke at caesar.de
Fri Jul 24 10:12:01 EDT 2015

Postdoc and graduate student positions in computational neuroscience and machine learning

We are seeking postdoctoral researchers and graduate students to join the recently established Max Planck Research Group “Neural System Analysis” lead by Jakob Macke (www.mackelab.org) at research center caesar. Our group investigates how populations of neurons collectively process sensory input, perform computations and control behaviour. To this end, we develop statistical methods and machine learning algorithms for neural data analysis. We maintain close ties with experimental and theoretical research groups in Bonn and the Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience Tübingen (www.bccn-tuebingen.de), and extensively collaborate with laboratories performing measurements of neural activity and behaviour at various other locations.

The center of advanced european studies and research (caesar) is an Institute of the Max Planck Society dedicated to the Neurosciences, Cell Biology, and Biophysics, and is embedded in the neuroscience community of the Max Planck Society and the University of Bonn. Caesar provides modern infrastructure and excellent scientific facilities in an attractive building located in the beautiful ‘Rheinaue’ park, in the southern part of Bonn. Caesar offers an international and family-friendly atmosphere, and supports individual development with training programs and seminars.

Applicants should have a strong background in a quantitative discipline (e.g. maths, statistics, physics or computer science) and a genuine interest in understanding neural computation in biological or artificial systems. Prior exposure to machine learning and programming skills is advantageous. Applicants with interest in combining computational and experimental work in collaboration with the department of Jason Kerr at caesar are also encouraged to apply. We particularly encourage female students and researchers to apply.

Screening of applications will begin August 15th. The starting date is flexible. Application materials should include a CV including university grades, a brief statement of research interests, contact details of two referees and one or two work samples-- anything that is genuinely the own work of the applicant, e.g. a thesis, computer code, a research manuscript or an essay.
Please contact Jakob Macke (Jakob at caesar.de, www.mackelab.org) for informal enquiries, and submit your application at  http://www.caesar.de/jobs-phd.html.

Jakob Macke
Max Planck Research Group Leader
Neural Systems Analysis
phone +49/228/9656170
fax +49/228/96569170
e-mail: jakob at caesar.de
www.mackelab.org

research center caesar
an associate of the Max Planck Society
Ludwig-Erhard-Allee 2
53175 Bonn, Germany
www.caesar.de

Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience
72076 Tübingen, Germany
www.bccn-tuebingen.de