Connectionists: Biological Distributed Algorithms 2015

Saket Navlakha navlakha at salk.edu
Mon Feb 23 00:57:30 EST 2015

The 3rd Workshop on Biological Distributed Algorithms (BDA 2015)
August 18-19, 2015 in Boston, MA USA
http://www.snl.salk.edu/~navlakha/BDA2015/

We are excited to announce the third workshop on Biological Distributed Algorithms (BDA). BDA is focused on the relationships between distributed computing and distributed biological systems and in particular, on analysis and case studies that combine the two. Such research can lead to better understanding of the behavior of the biological systems while at the same time developing novel computational algorithms that can be used to solve distributed computing problems.

BDA 2015 will include talks on distributed algorithms related to a variety of biological systems, with special attention to communication and coordination in insect colonies (e.g. foraging, navigation, task allocation, construction) and networks in the brain (e.g. learning, decision-making, attention).

===========
SUBMISSIONS
===========
We solicit submissions of extended abstracts describing recent results relevant to biological distributed computing. We especially welcome extended abstracts describing new insights and / or case studies regarding the relationship between distributed computing and biological systems even if these are not fully formed. Since a major goal of the workshop is to explore new directions and approaches, we especially encourage the submission of ongoing work. Selected contributors would be asked to present, discuss and defend their work at the workshop. Submissions should be in PDF and include title, author information, and a 4-page extended abstract.

Please use the following EasyChair submission link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=bda20150

Note: The workshop will not include published proceedings. In particular, we welcome submissions of papers describing work that has appeared or is expected to appear in other venues.

===============
IMPORTANT DATES
===============
May 15, 2015 – Extended abstract submission deadline
June 15, 2015 – Decision notifications
August 18-19, 2015 – Workshop

================
INVITED SPEAKERS [PRELIMINARY; MORE TO COME!]
================
Yehuda Afek - Tel Aviv University
Ziv Bar-Joseph - CMU
Nir Shavit - MIT
Les Valiant - Harvard

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Ziv Bar-Joseph - CMU
Anna Dornhaus - University of Arizona
Yuval Emek - Technion
Amos Korman - CNRS and University of Paris Diderot
Nancy Lynch - MIT
Saket Navlakha - Salk Institute