Connectionists: Practopoiesis—empirical predictions

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 8 14:04:27 EST 2015

Dear all,

For those who are interested in practopoiesis, a revised version of the
manuscript is available that now lists testable empirical predictions.
An apparent lack of significant empirical predictions was the main
critique I received. While I was saving those predictions for a separate
manuscript the reviewers at a journal that is currently reviewing the
paper asked me put the predictions already into this big manuscript (and
they were probably right).

So, the result is that one can download the revised version with the
empirical predictions here: http://www.danko-nikolic.com/practopoiesis/

Summary of the predictions: The key prediction of practopoietic theory
is that cognition is implemented by the mechanisms of neural adaptation.
Thus, it is not the widely-assumed network computations that produce
cognitive operations. Instead, it is the mechanisms responsible for
adapting the neural responses that create our perception, attention,
decision making, capability to consciously understand, etc… The network
dynamics serves its obvious function: delivering information. But it is
the mechanisms or neural adaptation that ultimately create the mind
within the brain.

The paper lists, in more details, the actual predictions that can be
easily transformed into tests in laboratories. (If anyone needs help
designing a study, please contact me. I’d be happy to collaborate.)

This makes practopoiesis a testable theory.

Also, the theory opens numerous interesting possibilities for
computational studies. (Same here: I’d be happy to help develop research
ideas.)

In addition to the empirical predictions, the revised version discusses
in more detail the following:

- self-organization
- downward causation
- shielding of cybernetic knowledge
- flow of information towards lower levels of organization
- a philosophical summary of the theory (which is also laid out as a
table attached to this message).

I would like to thank everyone for the great interest in practopoiesis
expressed through so many downloads and visits to the website.

With kind regards,

Danko Nikolić

--
Prof. Dr. Danko Nikolić

Web:
http://www.danko-nikolic.com

Mail address 1:
Department of Neurophysiology
Max Planck Institut for Brain Research
Deutschordenstr. 46
60528 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY

Mail address 2:
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
Wolfgang Goethe University
Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60433 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY