Connectionists: Call for contributions NIPS Workshop on Large scale optical physiology

Ferran Diego ferran.diego at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 10 03:41:55 EDT 2014

*NIPS Workshop on Large scale optical physiology: From data-acquisition
to models of neural coding*

Montreal, Quebec. December 12, 2014
_
- Scope:_

Obtaining a detailed understanding of brain function remains a
significant challenge. Major advances in recording technologies -- e.g.
imaging calcium signals with 2-photon, light-sheet, or light-field
microscopy -- are beginning to provide measurements of neural activity
at unprecedented scales. Analytical tools will critical for the
high-throughput acquisition and analysis of such large-scale datasets.
In particular, our field needs scalable, reproducible computational
approaches that are general enough to share and coordinate across
groups, but flexible enough to extract meaning from a variety of problem
settings. We also need analyses that examine the full richness of both
single-neuron and population-level response properties and dynamics.
The goal of this workshop is to discuss challenges and opportunities for
computational neuroscience and machine learning that arise from
large-scale recording techniques:

    * What kind of data will be generated by large-scale functional
      measurements in the next decade? How will it be quantitatively or
      qualitatively different to the kind of data we have had
      previously? What will the computational bottlenecks be?
    * What are the key computational tools for high-throughput data
      acquisition, e. g. visualization/dimensionality
      reduction/information quantification? How can we identify the best
      algorithms and what are the limitations of existing techniques?
    * What can we learn from large-scale recordings that is
      fundamentally new? What theories could we test, if only we had
      access to recordings from more neurons? What kind of statistics
      will be powerful enough to verify/falsify population coding
      theories? What can we infer about network structure and dynamics?

We have invited scientists whose research directly addresses these
questions, including both experimental and computational
neuroscientists. We hope to foster active discussion among this
multidisciplinary group, to clarify priorities and perspective, and
coordinate key directions for future research. The target audience
includes industry and academic researchers interested in machine
learning, neuroscience, big data and statistical inference.

_- Link: _
http://hci.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de//Staff/fdiego/LargeScaleOpticalPhysiology/_

- Important Dates:_

     Submission Opens: September 1, 2014
     Abstract submission deadline (for poster presentations): October 9,
2014
     Acceptance for poster presentation will be announced by October 23,
2014
     Workshop Day: December 12, 2014

_- Call for Contributions:_

We invite abstract submissions for poster presentation at the workshop.
Please submit abstracts (1 page max in pdf format) by email to
*opticalphysiology(at)gmail.com*.

_- Organizers:_

<http://hci.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/Staff/fdiego/>Ferran Diego (Heidelberg
Collaboratory for Image Processing, University of Heidelberg) _--
primary contact_
Jeremy Freeman (Janelia Research Campus)
Jakob Macke (Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics and
Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience, Tuebingen, Germany)
Il Memming Park (Neural Coding and Computation Lab, University of Texas
at Austin)
Eftychios Pnevmatikakis (Department of Statistics and the Center for
Theoretical Neuroscience at Columbia University)

--
Multidimensional Image Processing Group
University of Heidelberg, HCI
E-Mail: ferran.diego at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de