Connectionists: Postdoctoral position in computational neuroscience at Numenta

Subutai Ahmad subutai at numenta.org
Wed Oct 15 21:07:18 EDT 2014

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN THEORETICAL NEUROSCIENCE
AND CORTICAL MODELING
Numenta, Inc.

ABOUT NUMENTA

Numenta  was founded in 2005 to be a catalyst in the emerging field of
machine intelligence. Its biologically inspired technology is based on a
detailed and evolving theory of the neocortex first described in co-founder
Jeff Hawkins’ book, On Intelligence. The current technology can be applied
to anomaly detection in servers and applications, human behavior, and
geo-spatial tracking data.  Numenta is focused on understanding the
computational principles behind the cortex in detail, and implementing
practical systems that operate on those principles.   For more details,
please see www.numenta.com

JOB DESCRIPTION

Numenta has an immediate opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher.  This
individual will be a key member of our research group. He or she will work
on significant extensions of Hierarchical Temporal Memory (HTM) theory and
its implementations.  Our current research efforts involve understanding
cortical sensorimotor inference and control, and the role of
thalamocortical pathways.   Our models aim to build stable invariant
representations of complex environments through active exploration, and are
independent of sensory modality.  Our problem domains span the range from
artificial constrained worlds all the way to commercially driven
applications.

We seek researchers who passionately desire to build intelligent machines
and impact the next generation of computing.  The position carries full
benefits and is for a one year term. An extension or a conversion to
permanent employment is possible.  We are located in Silicon Valley
(Redwood City, CA).

RESPONSIBILITIES

- Implement extensions to HTM theory
- Test algorithms on a variety of problems and datasets
- Characterize algorithm performance and suggest improvements
- Write and publish papers in leading conferences and journals
- Attend conferences and stay up to date with the latest relevant research
- Be an active member of the NuPIC community (NuPIC is Numenta's open
source HTM software)
- Provide technical leadership to the rest of the organization

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS

- Strong background in theoretical or computational neuroscience
- Strong background in machine learning or machine intelligence
- Established track record of leading edge research in computational
neuroscience
- Established track record of publications in leading peer reviewed
conferences and journals
- Excellent programming skills (Python or C++ preferred)
- Hands on experience implementing large-scale learning algorithms or
computational models
- Preference given to candidates who have a deep understanding of HTM
algorithms, cortical principles, and/or a working knowledge of NuPIC
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Applicants should have, or expect to receive soon, a PhD (or have
equivalent research experience) in computational neuroscience, machine
learning, cognitive modeling, or a related discipline

HOW TO APPLY

Qualified applicants should send the following to postdoc at numenta.com:
- Cover letter describing their specific interest in Numenta.  Please
include any relevant experience with HTM algorithms or NuPIC.
- Resume or CV, including list of relevant courses and published papers.

Numenta is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Numenta is unable to consider postdoc applications from
international researchers unless they are US Citizens, hold a Green Card,
or are currently enrolled in a US University and eligible for OPT.