Connectionists: Postdoctoral position available: Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience of Learning and Decision Making (at Rutgers-Newark, New Jersey)

Mark Gluck gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 7 17:03:43 EDT 2014

Postdoctoral position available at Rutgers University-Newark:

<< Note: Candidates who will be at the Society for Neuroscience in Washington, DC,
between Nov. 16 and 19 should contact me ASAP to set up an interview there >>
Cognitive and Clinical Neuroscience of Learning and Decision Making

We seek a postdoctoral fellow to work in our lab on the cognitive neuroscience of learning, memory, and decision making. The primary research would involved developing, implementing, and running cognitive studies in patients with Parkinson's Disease,  Clinical Depression (Major Depressive Disorder) and Post-Trauma Stress Disorder (PTSD). Our primary interest is in understanding the interplay between the basal ganglia and hippocampal-region in learning, how this changes across the lifespan, and how these brain systems are disrupted in neurological and psychiatric disorders. In addition to working on these neuropsychological studies, we would be especially interested in a candidate who has additional training and experience that would allow them to contribute to our related programs in functional brain imaging at the Rutgers University Brain Imaging Center (RUBIC): http://rubic.rutgers.edu

The position is at Rutgers University-Newark (13 miles outside New York City, NY) and involves overseeing many collaborative neuropsychological projects in neurological and psychiatric disorders disease, both locally at Rutgers University Medical School, NYU Medical Center, the North Shore-LIJ Feinstein Institute's Udall Center of Excellence in Parkinson's Disease, as well as our international collaborations with clinics around the world.
Attributes we seek in a candidate:

(1) A strong command of the relevant cognitive neuroscience and neuropsychology literature, and Ph.D in a relevant field.

(2) Prior experience designing and/or conducting cognitive studies of learning and/or decision making, preferably in clinical populations.

(3) Strong statistical data analysis skills and/or programming skills (e.g., MATLAB).

(4) Excellent speaking and professional writing skills in English,

(5) Additional skills and experience in one or more of: (i) functional brain imaging, (ii) neurocomputational modeling, or (iii) behavioral neurogenetics.

For more information on our laboratory, see http://www.gluck.edu.  Additional information on neuroscience resources, facilities, and training programs at Rutgers-Newark can be found at http://www.neuroscience.newark.rutgers.edu

Interested candidates should contact me by email at gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu with a cover letter describing their background, career goals, and directly addressing how they fit the 5 attributes listed above, along with a CV and a PDF of a representative first-authored published or in press paper. Applications should be sent ASAP but no later than November 15th, 2014.

Viable candidates will be initially pre-interviewed either at SFN in DC in mid-November or via Skype. The start date is negotiable and could be anytime during 2015 (Winter, Summer, or Fall). Please be sure to indicate your desired or likely start-date availability.
Regards, Mark Gluck

Dr. Mark A. Gluck,  Professor
  Director, Rutgers Memory Disorders Project
Center for Molecular  and Behavioral Neuroscience
Rutgers University
197 University Ave.
Newark, New Jersey  07102
 	 Web:  http://www.gluck.edu