Connectionists: The Atoms of Neural Computation: A reply to Randy O'Reilly

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at colorado.edu
Fri Nov 7 13:05:23 EST 2014

There is a rather fundamental levels of analysis difference here. As
Sejnowski mentioned, there are 100 to 1000 types of pyramidal neurons, but
Dror Cohen appropriately pointed out Edelman's notion of "degeneracy." This
is where neurons have become differentiated and yet perform the same
function. Ockham's razor suggests that we assume a strong form of the
degeneracy hypothesis, using simple, abstract models, and then add
increased biological fidelity as these models prove insufficient.

Sufficiency is, of course, dependent on your goal. If your goal is to
create a model that solves the problems that the brain solves doing it in
the way that the brain does it, while retaining some but not too much
fidelity, then you want biologically plausible backpropagation (for now, at
least, as it's far from proven that the brain does this). If you just want
to do what the brain does in some way, you abstract away and use Bayes. If
you want to do what the brain does in all the excruciating detail that the
brain does it in, because that's just what you are personally interested
in, or for whatever reason, you concern yourself with the almost literally
infinitely detailed differences in neurons. And there is plenty of room
in-between these three basic levels. Even studying Purkinje neurons in
detail for decades outside the context of the rest of the brain helps
inform everything else in the brain.

There are more general issues with provenance conversations like this one.
They ignore the principle of "he who says it best says it last" - J.
Schmidhuber (2008). *The last inventor of the telephone*. Science. This
point stresses that communication is essential, and pushes against
mountains of papers that are hard to comprehend and would require a legion
of programmers to independently replicate, and thus really understand,
assuming that such replication is possible. But perhaps the most
fundamental problem with such provenance conversations is that it ignores
that we are all working together here, despite that we may *think* we are
working at cross-purposes, or with different goals in mind (including just
trying to be more awesome than everyone else).  Everything everyone does
informs everything that everyone else does. This reminds me of
multi-objective optimization, which also seems to summarize how we -
embodied brains - came to be in the first place. This same kind of process,
at the memetic instead of genetic level, will lead to a theory of the
brain. Interacting levels of analysis. Researchers working apart working
together.

That said, I think all would agree that Schmidhuber's recent review is a
very useful endeavor, and provenance is ultimately of historical
importance, and credit assignment is motivationally important. Regarding
Leabra, Grossberg's claim that he invented the core Leabra equations, which
embody the intuition that backpropagation can be implemented in a
biologically plausible way if neurons keep track of their activation in two
different phases and then compute their weight deltas purely locally based
on this difference, seems wrong. Where is this prior actual implementation
and actual description that could be implemented and would work as well as
backpropagation as Leabra does? Regarding the Leabra cognitive
architecture, it borrows heavily from pretty much every single other
researcher, including Grossberg (as his postdoc(s) have worked in
O'Reilly's lab, and we have tried to read some of Grossberg's papers), but
also even ACT-R, which has an independent implementation in *emergent, *and
has been partially integrated with Leabra in a model called SAL (Synthesis
of ACT-R and Leabra). And this architecture is inspired by *so many*
others. As many as possible.

Giving credit assignment here properly is *very* hard, and there is no
point fighting about it. The O'Reilly lab bibliography contains tens of
thousands of papers aggregated by scores of researchers over decades.
Ultimately, these papers are distilled into concepts and memes that are
incorporated into models. These new models stand on the shoulders of
giants. For a giant to come back and say that the new work is in fact his,
is counterproductive. Instead, we should look for something like SALART, or
just let the process unfold. Provenance is to be left to historians, and it
will ultimately be flawed, as the information for accurate record-keeping
is just not around, nor easily expressible in such a complex domain. And
arguably, almost all of the *real* communication in science is communicated
not via papers, but via researchers migrating from lab to lab and sharing
concepts whose origin they may well be unaware of, which pushes all of our
knowledge forward. Researchers working in isolation and aggressively
assigning credit to themselves is hypercompetitive and borderline
narcissism. It's also rather ironic considering that we study systems that
use not just competition but also cooperation. This is all explained by
game theory at some level, after all. It's a mix!

Speaking of how mixed up all of our contributions are, please take the time
to help keep my list of neural simulators up-to-date, which I intended to
be a community resource and project.
https://grey.colorado.edu/emergent/index.php/Comparison_of_Neural_Network_Simulators

Sincerely,

Brian