Connectionists: Networks & Machine Learning Positions @ MPI-SWS

Manuel Gomez Rodriguez m.gomez.rodriguez at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 05:54:10 EST 2014

PhD positions in Networks & Machine Learning
====================================

The newly established Machine Learning group at the Max Planck
Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS, http://www.mpi-sws.org/), led
by Manuel Gomez-Rodriguez, is looking for up to

three PhD students

with a strong interest in networks & machine learning.

In our group, we are interested in developing machine learning and
large-scale data mining methods for the analysis and modeling of large
real-world networks and processes that take place over them. We are
particularly interested in problems arising in the Web and social
media.
For further information on our research, please, visit
http://www.mpi-sws.org/~manuelgr/.

Applicants should be highly motivated and creative and have an
exceptional background in machine learning, probability, optimization
or graph
theory, as well as excellent programming skills. A Master's degree in
a relevant field (e.g., Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics &
Optimization)
is expected. Previous research experience in social networks or
machine learning is a big plus.

MPI-SWS currently has 10 tenured and tenure-track faculty and about 50
doctoral and post-doctoral researchers and is located in
Kaiserslautern
and Saarbruecken, in the tri-border area of Germany, France and
Luxembourg. The institute maintains an open, international and diverse
work
environment and we seek applications from outstanding candidates
regardless of national origin or citizenship. Working language at
MPI-SWS is
English -- German is not required. The salary is highly competitive
and you will have great support to do outstanding research.

There will be ample opportunities of collaboration with the Empirical
Inference Department, headed by Bernhard Schoelkopf, at the Max Planck
Institute for Intelligent Systems (MPI-IS,
http://www.is.tuebingen.mpg.de/research/dep/bs.html) in Tuebingen. One
of the PhD positions will be a
joint appointment between MPI-SWS and MPI-IS, and will be based in Tuebingen.

In order to apply, please, use the online application system at
http://www.mpi-sws.org/index.php?n=graduate#graduate-school and drop
me an
email to manuelgr at mpi-sws.org to highlight your application. Review of
applications will start immediately, and continue until the positions
are filled.
If you attend NIPS ‘14, please let me know to informally meet in
person. If you are giving a talk or poster, please tell me so I can
look at it.

Best wishes,
Manuel