Connectionists: How the brain works (UNCLASSIFIED)

Kelley, Troy D CIV (US) troy.d.kelley6.civ at mail.mil
Fri May 23 13:59:27 EDT 2014

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hans,
-------
Hans wrote:

If you have V1 and V2, you also have V4 and IT. You can also assume that the
processing in the V and M and A hierarchies is the
same: one equation.

All neocortical areas are reciprocally connected to pulvinar (LGN in case of
vision) and higher-order thalamic areas in a laminar way, and then to basal
ganglia via layers for arms, face and legs. The BG take decisions, most
important
keyword: DISinhibition. One equation.
All visual areas are still connected to motor areas (archaic brain, rodents,
screwdriver).
All motor areas are connected to sensory areas: corollary discharge signals
were first introduced because of saccadic eye movements, but they are
ubiquitous for distinguishing external from self-induced percepts, and at
all levels: from reflex inhibition, sensory filtration, stability analysis
up to sensorimotor learning and planning. I boldly assume: one equation.

They are part of the default mode network: external goal-oriented action vs.
self-regulation. Homeostasis. Small imbalance between endogenous and
exogenous processes: ADHD.
Anterior insula and dorso-lateral PCC: balance between excessive control and
lack of control. Imbalance: obsessive-compulsive disorder or schizophrenia.
-------
I would be interested in what you think of the very old habituation equation
first described in 1966 by Thompson and Spencer

We have been able to reproduce this balance/inbalance you speak of above
between excessive control and lack of control on our robotics systems using
a habituation equation.

I would be interested in knowing what you think the habituation equation
DOESN'T capture.  My sense is that it doesn't capture reinforcement learning
very well.

Thompson, R. F., & Spencer, W. A. (1966). Habituation: a model phenomenon
for the study of neuronal substrates of behavior. Psychological review,
73(1), 16.

Note especially the nine characteristics of the equation they outline nicely
beginning on page 19 of the article.

Troy Kelley
Cognitive Robotics Team Leader
Human Research and Engineering Directorate
Army Research Laboratory
Aberdeen, MD, 21005
V: 410-278-5869