Connectionists: How the brain works

Janet Wiles janetw at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu May 22 19:00:46 EDT 2014

When does a model escape from a research lab? Or in other words, when do researchers beyond the in-group investigate, test, or extend a model?

I have asked many colleagues this question over the years. Well-written papers help, open source code helps, tutorials help. But the most critical feature seems to be that it can be communicated in a single equation. Think about backprop, reinforcement learning, Bayes theorem.

Janet Wiles
Professor of  Complex and Intelligent Systems,
School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
The University of Queensland